1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pyramid Gold Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Mar 6, 2013.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Has anybody experienced them? Good? Bad? Who use (used to use) them?

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Great strings, have them on my fretless now. Probably the smoothest feeling string out there. Higher tension that TI's but not as taut as some strings out there. Mellow even sound.

I tried many different flats and settled on TI's for a long time but tried a set of pyramids and was hooked. Even switched my fretless back to TI's for a few weeks but really missed the feel of the Pyramids. Truly addictive feeling strings.

Not sure who used to use them though.

3. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    The Pyramid Gold flats are the strings originally put on Hofner basses. I used them for decades, and still do. They are one of the highest quality strings , along with Thomastik-Infeld. They have beautiful tone, playability and long life. Jack Casady used to use them on this Guild Starfire bass according to Rick Turner. First class strings.

4. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I like Pyramid flats. As said before - they're very smooth, great feeling strings; nice warm sound, too.

I'd take a set over Thomastik-Infeld every day of the year.

5. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Very high quality strings, medium tension and a fantastic feel and sound. Considering how long a set of these will last with proper care, it's a worthwhile investment.

6. paul mccartney used them on his hofner if i recall correctly?

7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I had a set on my precision bass, like the others loved the feel but couldn't get a decent tone out of the E string, so changed out after a few months. Maybe I just had a bad one, not sure....

8. KK Jale

KK Jale

Nov 4, 2010
    I had a problem with my E string, too. I emailed Max at Pyramid, outlined the situation and he sent me a new one, which is perfect.

They're my favourite strings.

9. They do have a very nice feel
    I had them on my Lakland HB
    very nice strings but I prefer Sadowsky flats
    Alembic used to put them on their new basses back in the day
    Jack Cassidy and Phil Lesh used those strings

10. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    backup:

From recent photos, McCartney is using Pyramid Gold Flats on his Hofner these days, again.

11. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Mar 22, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Super smooth and mellow. I find them very easy to play.

12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Damn, wish I'd thought of that!

13. KK Jale

KK Jale

Nov 4, 2010
    Ha! It took three months - during which I substituted a TI flat, which was just plain ludicrous - before I thought of it myself! Doh!

Great service from Pyramid, though!

But yes, the Gold flatwounds are just right for me. I'm a straight down the line traditionalist - Precision with a Lollar, TB500, Barefaced Midget. The Pyramids have that flex and thump and and a lovely texture and feel, and the tension's right for me. I like TI's and have used Labellas for years but I think these Pyramids will see me through to 2015. Or longer...

14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    ^^^^^^ Definitely longer. They last years and years in my experience; you can't kill 'em!

15. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    There was a time a couple years back where I got unlucky with a few packs of these strings where some of the strings would break even while sitting in my case. I posted the problem I was having on this forum so if you search you'll find the post. I was so disappointing because these are one of my favorite strings and I've tried every flatwound out there. The good news is that I think they fixed their manufacturing flaw and I have them on 2 of my basses which have lasted a year so far. I'm so happy because these strings have helped define my signature sound. I do use a few other strings for different styles, but whenever I do session work for original music, these are the strings I use. My own style is not slapping and popping. I just like warm and moving deep bass with nice balanced lows and highs, with just a touch of that flatwound thump, and these strings do that really well. Perfect for so many different genres.

16. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I've tried almost all the flats out their, my first favorite was la Bella deep talkin flats, they were on all my bases and great flat for $50. Then I found the pyramid gold flats...only $110 for a five string set(holy cow they better be good). They were good but I just didn't like them for some reason. Then I got a set of ti's. They are my new favorite....I have tried a few tapewounds as well and they just sound too dead. I do want to try those new white tapewounds from la bela, they are supposed to be brighter than all the other tapewounds but still with more thud than flats

17. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I play blues and rock and have tried most of the flats on the market. I require low tension and recently sold my 4 year old Pyramid Golds because I wasn't using them, tension was a touch higher than I like and my taste in tone changed to a leaner sound.

I agree with the opinions here regarding feel and playability, but I think what is most unique about them is their tone. Old school thump with little treble for sure but there is also a very subtle distortion which is akin to a tube amp sound.

Great strings, I never had a problem with them.

18. thebates

thebates

Jan 2, 2011
    I just picked up a set for my Hofner Club. I like the strings but the E string is dead from G up to about B. Can't figure it out. I'm trying to compensate by raising the neck pickup closer. No luck so far.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have a pair on my Hofner and love them wouldn't use anything else.

20. thebates

thebates

Jan 2, 2011
    I hear you, they do sound great, but when the bottom falls out in that area it's disconcerting. It's like compression is on for those notes???