Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pin-drop, Jun 4, 2004.

1. pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    hey i was wondering what the fundimental diffrence between the rmx series and plx series. I need a good cheap pa to go with my newly aquired ada pre amp and soon to be aquired gs 210 im looking to spend less than 300 and no value village berhinger crud
  2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I think its that the PLX are aimed more at the semi pro pa/instrument rig. Ie for travelling, bar gig etc. Wheras the RMX are much higher powered and aimed more at the professional or for permanent installation in a bar or club PA system.

As always, I might be wrong.
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    PLX = light as a feather @ 21lbs.

RMX = heavy as a boat anchor @ 35, 40 and 45lbs.

Use the search feature on this website and ye shall find a plethora of info on both the PLX and RMX. May I also suggest the QSC website: http://www.qscaudio.com
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
  5. pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    is the weight differance between the rmx and the plx really worth the cash
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thats up to you and how much you plan on moving it. If it is going to generally stay in one spot and go to a gig maybe twice a month - then get an RMX. If you are moving it to and from every night then save for a PLX.
  7. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You really need to ask your back that question..........

In my opinion, if you've got the cash, it is definitely worth it. If you've never done it, you may not understand....injure your back one time, and you'll pay LARGE amounts of money to avoid it.

I know people who've had to crawl to their car, have their spouse drive them to a doctor/chiropractor while they laid in the back seat, and then crawl into the office.

Believe me, if you wrench your back during load in, you will NOT be playing the gig.

If you don't have the cash, at least buy a dolly and use it as much as possible. And be VERY careful on stairs.
  8. pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    compared to cabinets 35 pounds is nothing
  9. My RMX 1850 HD weighs 45 lbs. Ok, so it's heavy (as are many many many other pro audio amps). Don't rack heavy amps in multiple, or with a bunch of other gear, and you can handle them just fine.

What do your cabinets weigh? Probably more than the 1850 HD in a rack. :confused:
  10. pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    ive been tottin a peavey tko 115 around its a blast and im a collage student money is not something i have in abundance. Im paying for this amp with snack money i saved by stealing soda crackers and peanut butter from the caff. Im young and i live in canada health care is free. BAHAHA take that back
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    RMX850 = 35 lb (15.9 kg) net
    RMX1450 = 40 lb (18.2 kg) net
    RMX1850HD & RMX2450 = 44.5 lb (20.2 kg) net each

Add a rack case and a preamp and it's a bit more.

How heavy they really are depends on how far you have to carry it (assuming you don't use a dolly). 60 lb feels more like 120 lb after about 100 ft of toting (or 3 flights of stairs).

But hey, I like the workout. :meh:
  12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

from what i was told in gc (which is a dubious souce of info, i'll be the first to admit) one(plx) is american made and the other(rmx) mexican made.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I heard the RMX's are made in China.
  14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Allthough 45lbs isn't that much to carry, its how we carry the 45lbs that is important. We musicians (especially bassists, lazy guitar players) tend to use extremely poor lifting practices/body mechanics when hauling around. We are lifting with our backs to put that one last piece of gear on top of the pile that is of too the left and in tightly cramped trailer/truck/car while leaning over the bumper. Do you catch my drift. 45lbs is enough to seriously f**k up your back. Now, put that 45lbs amp in a 4/6/8/10 space rack with other pieces of gear. I can keep going and going and going and going and going and going..........You can really tell who owns/loads/unloads the PA eqipment in my band(s) ;)

PLX, your back will thank you later!
  15. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Even 20lbs. is enough to do permanent damage if you're lifting the wrong way and holding it out over a distance. Be careful kids! I myself went the tube power amp route, but I don't put it on my cabs, and if I do, I get help.
  16. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    My band all helps each other carry equipment.
  17. Excellent. Oh, and having 1 or 2 handtrucks is the only way to go. I bring a handtruck to every gig, it is truly a 'musicians friend'. :cool:
  18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    So did I. ;)

The PLX audio circuitry is a bit more sophisticated, with a lower noise floor and lower distortion, but it would be hard to tell them apart sonically in a bass rig.
  19. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.