1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quantum V modulus users How do you get the most out of your Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diverse379, Apr 5, 2015.

1. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    I was just wondering how modulus players
    address the graphite neck.

and what sort of things do you do to get the most out of your Modulus?
    are there compensations that you use for the graphite neck?

or do you just pick up another bass when you want something different.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    What's to address or compensate for? Just pick it up and play. ;)

Having said that, I've put a U-Retro preamp in mine, which gives it a warmer, and seriously bass heavy sound.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It's very important to play cleanly! Also, I find that broken in DR Lo Riders rein in the brilliance to my liking. Other than that, I'm not really sure how'd you approach it any differently than any other bass.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Ballin'bass likes this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just play it like anything else. It's an awesome bass.

mikezimmerman likes this.
  5. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    I am a Q5 owner but have been separated from it for three years Nov 2012 To be exact

Its coming back home tuesday.

so i was just trying to step up my learning curve when it arrives

I like the thought about the DR low riders

I am not sure I am ready to add a preamp in the bass
    but perhaps I can get similar results with
    an outboard preamp to warm it up and give it a heavier bass tone.

I dont even remember how it sounds it has been so long.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It should already have a preamp in it so there is no need to add one unless there is something specific you don't like about it.

Before deciding to do anything I'd play it the way it is for awhile, short of a string change and setup.

7. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    Certainly looking forward to having it back.
    some new strings will be a nice treat

8. 69Jazz

69Jazz

Jun 9, 2004
    Athens, AL
    I had one in the past. It had the EMG pre and pickups. I put on Aguilar OBP-3 in it. I loved it after that. I regret ever getting rid of it.

9. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    mine has Barts
    what prompted you to go with the aguilar pre
    considering it already had a preamp in it

you wrote you loved it AFTER that
    what were your feelings before that?

it must have been missing something for you to go there.

10. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    I just went on the U-retro site
    wow the lows on that thing.
    i may getting one to mod a Cv squier
    a little reluctant to throw one in the modulus
    but having heard those lows I may consider it

11. jawrat

jawrat

Jun 14, 2013
    TI Flats. That's the only mod i've made to my Q6 (emgs) and my Q5 (barts). They both sound amazing, with the barts coming in a tiny bit 'woodier' to my ears.

12. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    I"ve had two q5s. Both had bartolini pickups. One bartolini pre amp and my recent one has aguilar. There is a huge difference. There are more useable frequencies with the aguilar. Adding up the use of the blend control knob and you get numerous sounds

13. I plug it in and leave it flat

Emg

14. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    I got a chance to play my Q5 yesterday during a bass lesson
    Even My student commented on how good it sounded.

remember I hadnt played this basss in nearly 3 years as it was sitting in a pawn shop.

so I pretty much forgot how this bass sounded.

I am glad to have it back.

It sounds exactly like a high end bass is supposed to sound

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN
    I have had my Q5 since I bought it new in 2000. I've played it since at least twice a month at church and still love the way it sounds and plays. Mine originally had EMG's with the EMG preamp and I replaced them a few years ago with Bartolinis. The Bartolinis are definitely more mellow and less aggressive than the EMG's. I play straight through a DI into the board at church and in the studio and have always gotten compliments on the tune. It is clean, clear, punchy, and can also get very smooth, depending on how you adjust the EQ of the onboard preamp and how you play it. It is my only bass and I've never needed another.

16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I loved my Quantum six-string when it had the original stock electronics. I loved it even more when I installed an EMG BTC circuit.
    But I *REALLY FREAKIN' LOVE IT* now that I've installed an ACG/East EQ-02 preamp.
    They are awesome basses. But they can be made awesomer. You just have to figure out what you want, & how to get whatever you feel it isn't doing now.

17. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    I approach playing them more cleanly than most other basses, because imperfections tend to stand out with moddys, since they're so crisp.

Also I'm a huge fan of the u-retro preamp I've put in mine, as well as the nordstrand pickups. They help it sound much more organic. I think modulus makes incredible basses but didn't always select the best electronics/pickups to load them with. I've never been a fan of barts for instance. Too compressed, no dynamics.

18. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    I don't consider any difference in approach other than to compensate for the added neck width...it's my only 5. As for the electronics, I like the emgs that it came with and keep it fairly flat.

19. I used to have a Q6 and a Q5, both alder body, maple top, barts, 3 band EQ. I sold the Q6 after 2 years because 6 string wasn't for me. The Q5 I had to sell due to an unforseeable financial crisis.
    Both sounded absolutely great the way they were. Especially in combination with a rather old Trace Elliot AH 300 - 7 the tone was just superb!
    After roughly seven years without a Quantum, I bought a used Q5 a few months ago. Alder body, 2 barts, 3 band EQ, chechen fingerboard. Haven't played it in a band yet, but I'm sure I'll just boost the lows a tad, keep the highs at noon, and use the mids to add some different flavours.
    I'd love to check out a Geoff Gould 5 string and compare it to a Q5.

20. My Q5 originally had EMG P/J soap bars and a BTS tone system. I didn't like the J pickup sound so I tried a pair of DC's and a BQC. I finally found the sound that I wanted with Lane Poor pickups and a Lane Poor preamp. I had played a Q5 in a store with Bartolini electronics that I really liked also.

Rick B.