1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quartersawn Walnut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stone Age, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Anyone have a confirmed source for 8/4 quartersawn walnut? I've called a zillion places and can't find a anyone. West Penn Hardwoods used to carry it, but doesn't now...

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Walnut is too common 'round here for retailers to separate cuts. Just find a place that sells walnut and find a piece that is quartersawn. For God's sake you're in Connecticut!

3. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    I know. The selection of walnut at my local place is very hit and miss though. Last visit was a miss.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    There is no shortage of it out here and just to make you feel a bit worse: it's usually $2/bf. ;)

5. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    :bawl: This shouldn't be as hard to find as it's been. The order from West Penn was perfect too.

6. Have you tried looking for a flatsawn piece with that has the right grain orientation? A piece that goes straight through the middle of the tree?

7. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    I know how to spot it when I see it hiding in a slab cut. Looking for reliable source online so I don't have to sift through the piles.

8. The place in CT I used to hit up was Conway Hardwoods in Kent. You could give them a call to see if they've got any walnut in stock.

Edit: Though you'll have to sift through the piles yourself. Also I've never meet any woodworker who doesn't enjoy sifting through piles of wood.

9. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

It's not the sifting as much as the location. The walnut at my local place is 12 feet in the air on the top shelf of the warehouse.

10. bobschit

bobschit

Jun 13, 2007
    Connecticut
    Where in CT are you? What dealers have you looked at?

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto

Why would ANYONE want to use the pith as a tonewood?

Fail.

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Not knowing that we cut around the pith Fail. :meh:

13. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Southeastern CT. I called most of the places within 50 miles that came up in various Google searches. Also called bunches of places in NY, NJ, PA and other states. No luck with saw mills so far either.

This stuff is common as mud, I just can't seem to find the cut that I'm looking for. I'm thinking I need to get a chainsaw do this myself.

14. Jason_A

Jason_A

May 26, 2009
    Marion, IA
    Out of curiousity, what will you be using this for (neck, body, etc)? And what kind of dimensions are you looking for? Do you want it quartersawn for stability (i.e. to build a neck) or just for appearance (parallel grain)?

There could potentially be a variety of ways around this... Wider boards tend to have at least some quartersawn wood in them particularly if they came from toward the center of the log (and further toward the outside edges). If you are using it for a neck and just want the quartersawn wood for stability/strength, a flatsawn board flipped on edge will get you quartersawn wood, although obviously you'd probably need to laminate several layers.

15. Jason_A

Jason_A

May 26, 2009
    Marion, IA
    Dang, that's crazy. Is that a typical price in the area, or do you have special connections?

I found a guy locally that saws wood at his farm and sells walnut for $2.50/bdft. I thought that was ridiculously cheap (that's about what oak sells for around here... and is less than half what walnut goes for, direct from the mill). I actually just picked up some more walnut from him over the weekend and am having him keep an eye out for a walnut crotch for me.

16. Dude, I was just describing the grain orientation.:rollno:

17. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    a nice riftsawn piece will do, we pay $2.63bf here for walnut right now.

18. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    That is the sawmill price for me and I'm guessing that JC is in the same boat. That exact same lumber becomes $8/bf if you buy from Woodcraft/Rockler who buy from the same sawmill.

Red Oak is usually $0.99/bf. :spit: ;)

19. Jason_A

Jason_A

May 26, 2009
    Marion, IA
    Wow, that's really great pricing. Maybe I should ask what grade wood you are getting ;) I can get walnut for $2/bdft from the sawmill, but it's a #2 COM :meh: Cherry is even worse than walnut. However, for some reason I can get decently flamed maple for $2.50/bdft.

Back to the OP... what kind of time frame are you looking for needing your wood? If you are really having this much trouble finding what you're looking for and don't need it anytime real soon, I could talk to my buddy about quartersawing you some 8/4 walnut. That will probably take a couple months to dry out adequately, though, and if you need a significant amount, shipping could get expensive really quick.

20. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I get A grade Select and Better, what you have to understand is that I can buy as much as 200 bd ft at any time, and I purchase about 1000 bd ft of lumber total each year, as I also supply a lot of small crafts people here with wood now, sort of a new venture. The broker I get my lumber from has levels of discount for certain footage, 100bf, 200 bf, 500bf, and 1000+bf

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021