1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick ohm question.... I read the sticky

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thirsty, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Thirsty

Thirsty

Oct 1, 2008
    I am sorry because I should understand this already by reading through these boards and I have read every sticky'd topic that looks like it would have this info and I just don't quite understand. I am looking to getting my first real rig and right now looking at a 450w 4ohm head and a SWR workingmans 4x10t used.

As far as I can tell the cab is rated for 400w and 8 ohms and I just wanted to know if that means it will be getting roughly 225ish watts coming through the speaker because it is 8 ohms or will the full 450 watts still be going through? I just don't want to buy this setup and blow the speakers cranking it up too much so I know if I have to hold back at all even though I know I will probably never have it cranked all the way I want to be sure. I plan to eventually add another cab likely a 15" 8 ohm and know that I am ok with two 8 ohm cabs with a 4 ohm head but I am not sure if there is anything that would change with the first cab when I plug in the second.

Again I am sorry for asking this but I have been trying to get a definite answer on this exact situation and can't figure it out so thanks for any answers.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    That depends on the heads power rating at 8 ohms. If it has a solid state power section that will probably be around 225W.

Don't wory about a difference in power handling between the cab and the head -- it shouldn;t be a problem as long as you aren't foolish. In general, you amp will start to sound bad (distorting, farting, etc.) if you are doing something to it that will hurt it. Just use your head and if if sounds like it's working too hard then turn it down.

3. Thirsty

Thirsty

Oct 1, 2008
    The head I was looking at was a peavey tour 450 which shows 450 watts at 4 ohms and it doens't show anything for 8 ohms. That does help a lot though to just listen to it as I turn it up and if it starts sounding bad obviously turn it down a bit, I have never really worried about blowing a speaker using only smaller combo amps in the past.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If you want to push out the full 450watts get a 4ohm rated cab, or two 8ohm cabs.

5. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    i think it would be around 225 or so, definitely not 450.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Tour 450

* Two input jacks for high and low output basses
    * Rear-mounted auxiliary input jack
    * DI XLR output with fail-safe phantom power backup capability
    * Toroidal power transformer
    * Pre- and post-gain controls
    * Bright and low-cut switches
    * Contour control
    * Active high and low shelving controls
    * Nine-band, constant-Q graphic equalizer with bypass switch
    * Analog octave synth/divider with level control and footswitchable bypass
    * Post-EQ effects loop
    * Buffered tuner send jack
    * 300 watts into 8 ohms
    * 450 watts into 4 ohms

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/175/20061701.cfm

Your plan for a 4x10 and a 1x15 should do well for you. I just heard a GK setup just like that a couple of weeks ago with a Stu Hamm Urge Jazz Bass. Great tone.

7. Thirsty

Thirsty

Oct 1, 2008
    Great thank all of you very much!!!

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You know what, I missed the part where you said you were going to add the 1x15.

You got it!