1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick tech question, SWR Workingman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ExoticBehemoth, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    I managed to get hold of a SWR Workingman's 4004 head with matching 2x10T and 1 x15T cabs;

It's clean sound is brilliant for using freestanding and with amp models too.

I have a technical question for someone who has used them before.

The amp has two jack outputs for speaker 1 and Speaker 2.

(the logical conclusion being to hook each cab to each output)

However the speaker cabs have 'in' and 'out' and the manual states they are wired in parallel indicating that you should run one cab into another.

The manual for the amp doesn't make any mention of two power outputs and there is no bridging switch...

So do I run each speaker from a sepperate output or run them both from one???

(In my flat at home I can't crank it up in order to be able to tell which is giving me a more effecient sound and I don't want to blow anything)

Thanks in advance!

2. I don't own one, but I would be willing to bet that they are wired parallel. Meaning that they both put out the same signal at the same time.

2 eight ohm cabs pluged in =4 ohms

2 four ohm cabs would be 2 ohms.....

Your minimum stable ohm value should be stamped on the back. You may need to call SWR if you are still not sure.

3. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    minimum is 4 ohms and both cabs are 8ohms so I hope I'm not going to do any damage either way.... hope!

4. You will be fine. IMO plug them both into the amp. That puts less demand on a single 1/4 jack and plug. One dies, the other keeps going... hopefully.:)

5. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    Good point, hadn't thought about that...

I guess I will find out at the next big gig..