1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Do we know if that will be an 8 ohm cab? It would be great to have something that I could sit on a vertical 4 ohm 210.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    That would be a little weird since Quilter doesn't make a 4 ohm 210 cab. The original NAMM announcement was 16 ohms, which would pair nicely with their 8 ohm 210 for a total impedance of 5.3 ohms.

But since Pat is actively redesigning the cabinet as we speak, it's all subject to change. ;)

3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I hope you keep the manufacturing of any bass amps (anything, really) in the USA. It means a lot to me, particularly that PRC NOT get it.

Stu_Bass, Speedbird and sonofshel like this.
  4. Are there any news on a new Bass Block version coming up? I'll be in the market at some point later this year, and I would much prefer one with a DI output that's not affected by the master volume. (Disclaimer: I have read all the arguments about this subject, I have my reasons why I care, and I will not enter in a discussion about it that's been had numerous times in this thread. ;))

5. How do you feel about detents?? :eyebrow:

sonofshel and Stu_Bass like this.
  6. Finally pulled the trigger on a Bass Block. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

7. Normally I put the master on 800w (I use two Barefaced SMs) and use the gain for volume. The last gig I decided to do it the other way round, that is run the gain at about 3 o'clock and use the master for volume. I did this just to see what would happen. As it turned out, the master ended up on 40w. Woah! What a difference! The tone fattened up and gained some real "heft". This runs contrary to what I've always believed, but I'm a convert.

CunniMingus, lo-freq, Agosix and 7 others like this.
  8. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I normally run the volume at 40 myself and it’s amazing how great it sounds and the weight of it all is there and it’s amazingly audible. I’ve tried it the other way as well but I prefer to get the gain up....when I see 40 thru 8 ohms pumping and hear what’s coming out, I’m always having a bit of disbelief in the numbers but I’m always in awe...this amp has cured a lot of GAS pains, for sure. Wish I had it in 1987 when I started but better later than never. I’ll never need anything else but this Quilter and that’s a helluva feeling!

9. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    I recently picked up a Pork Loin and tried it last night in front in front of the Quilter at band practice through my Subway 112/115 stack. Running it 18v, overdrive fully counter clockwise, clean and curve fully clockwise it added a nice touch of grit while sounding thick and full and tasty. I get while its called a Pork Loin! Absolutely delicious!

I switched it on and off through the night but definitely preferred it on.

Highly recommended for those about to rock :bassist:

son_of_mogh, CharlieC and grimmchaos like this.
  10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. When I had the Quilter last year I always ran it wide open with the gain lower to keep the limiting at a minimum. The one I have now I keep the gain at least at 7 and it just freaking slams.

redstrand, bdplaid, kasbrey and 2 others like this.
  11. peteratquilter

peteratquilter Commercial User

Nov 9, 2017
    Quilter Labs
    So far we just have a list of features we'd like to incorporate. It's going to be a while.

Taustin Powers and Mushroo like this.
  12. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    @peteratquilter, I've said it before but will repeat so it doesn't get buried: I think the most sensible solution is a Pre/Post switch for the Line Out. Seems like putting the choice in the hands of the user should make everybody happy. And while I am dreaming, how about a switchable cab sim? :)

MartinB likes this.
  13. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    How about letting Pat come up with something, since he pleasantly surprised everyone with the fabulousness of the current BB 800!

14. I total understand the reasoning behind the line out rather than a DI, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone is actually using it to slave to a second BB800? With the obscene amount of volume this thing is capable of I find it unlikely with the gig we all seem to be doing, but maybe touring guys with endorsements are?
    If I was in that situation of needing that amount power, I'd probably be using a stereo Power Amp with a more comprehensive pre-amp.

Is anyone slaving to a second BB, or using the line out as its intended?

15. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    No, I'm not using the Line Out as a line out, but my comment about the DI vs Line Out hubbub is that IMO we've gotten spoiled by amps that have a DI on the back. Used to be that we or the sound co would put a passive DI on top of the amp and that was that. Many times at my shows they still do. An amp that has any kind of an XLR out is, to me, an extra, even though it's seen nowadays on pretty much all amps.

The one thing I'd like to see, assuming there is a DI, is speaker emulation on that DI. I really hate that sizzly sound coming through the PA. If I had my druthers, I'd mic the cab because the cab is SO much a part of the sound. So if a DI can sound like the head through a cab (some do), I'm in.

hennessybass, Mugwump and Mushroo like this.
  16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I too would like a more usable DI, but to those asking for speaker sim, just get a H/LPF.
    I’ve got one fixed at 60Hz & 4kHz, respectively, because i don’t always get to use my amp as a DI, and i honestly don’t need anything below or above those points on stage or in the crowd.
    Problem solved.

blip likes this.
  17. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    The point is to make a more useful DI for bass players. The Fender Rumble also has a line out rather than a DI, but it has speaker sim built into the circuit. It sounds great; I have played big gigs and also recorded with it, to praises from the engineers.
    But to be clear, I am totally good with the B800 as-is. It's hard to improve freaking awesome.

18. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Some of the Quilter guitar heads (like the TB201 for example) have cab sims on the XLR out, so it's not a far-fetched request.

bdplaid likes this.
  19. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    And to be double-clear, I'm making more of a suggestion rather than a request. I think the hubbub over the DI is overblown, as it works great as-is. I get why it's a line-out - one might want to use the BB800 as a pre, with a different power amp rather the the one built-in, say Class AB or tube power rather the class D that's in it.

The detents on the other hand... :)

Mushroo likes this.
  20. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've always assumed the Line Out is designed that way so that you can use the Gain as a tone shaper. Let's say you're three songs into the set, and decide you need a cleaner, less compressed sound. So you reduce the Gain by a few clicks. Naturally this will make your signal quieter, but you can use the Master to bring the signal back up again. Or let's say the opposite, your sound is too clean and you want more Gain. So you increase the Gain, but compensate with the Master to keep your overall volume under control.

If the Line Out were not affected by the Master, then it would be tricky to increase your Gain as a tone shaping effect, without blowing out the audience's eardrums through the front-of-house.

bdplaid likes this.