1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IMG_20180608_195748.

My first gig with the BB800. Brought my trusty TH350 for backup just in case. Can you lose!
    First I setup the Aguilar with to get my normal sound, then switched over to the BB. Immediately felt the extra breath, or openness, likely due to the extra power. And I likey.
    Room was a bit boomy so a touch to the left on the depth. Kept the master low and raised the gain for that magic feel thing. We play relatively quiet, but had a harmonica playing through an old 4x10 Bassman guesting right next to me so I had to use ear plugs.
    Played my 64 PBass with flats. Filled the room and felt great all night. Good enough to replace the Aguilar? Not yet.
    And for the record, I LIKE THE DETENTS.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018 at 9:03 AM
  2. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO

Me too.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Where did you keep the gain? It took me a little bit to get used to the way the limiter works on Quilter. At first I wasn't sure I liked the way it responded, but now after many gigs I find it just sounds so freaking good in a band mix no matter what the configuration/instrumentation. I keep the gain no less than 6(or 2:00) on mine with a P-Bass. It has an ultra quick response and gives you that big grindy P bass tone that sounds clear and warm out front.

4. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Totally. I find that it works like a guitar amp in so far as the gain structure and all that. Most of us bass players don't have that experience so it's a learning curve for us.
    I usually run mine between seven and eight and awesome it is!

5. I had the master down about 40w and the gain near noon, and was still on the verge of being too loud.

6. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    The detents usually keep me from getting the volume exactly where I want it.

7. For me it's the singer.

Cuniliguns, loopee and Jefenator like this.
  8. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    I'm a big fan of the detents. I sold a GB streamliner to get the Quilter. Every time I would put the GB away my settings would move slightly and I always felt I was searching for a new tone each setup.

I keep the gain of the Quilter at the 6. There is a pretty big volume jump between a few of the detents so I control the minor volume tweaks on my compressor. Really enjoyed my tone over the weekend.

9. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    One should not need an external box to control his volume. Death to detents! : -)

bobcruz likes this.
  10. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    The compressor is always on so I have to set the volume anyway? Wish that knob had detents...

acleex38 likes this.
  11. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    YOU'RE AN ANTI-DENTITE!!

:laugh::laugh:

wave rider, loopee, ahc and 1 other person like this.
  12. I've had an interesting time so far with my BB. I usually run tube amps that I rarely feel inclined to play with the Bass/Mid/Treble. All my basses usually run on the same settings, but with the Quilter, I've already come up with some specific settings for specific basses, with excellent results. I've been playing a long time and I'd have to say that I've never really come across an amp like this one that lets me dial in a sound that compliments the instrument so much.

13. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That’s what the volume knob on the bass is for:thumbsup:

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    bey.

edsand, 3rdcurve, Abe-of-Bass and 2 others like this.
  15. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Abe-of-Bass, son_of_mogh and ebozzz like this.
  16. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    But if you turn that down then you're not feeding the gain properly and you lose the magic compression. Turning down the volume on the bass is essentially the same as reducing the gain.

17. If you're looking for 'half a detents worth' of change i think you'll survive lol.

lo-freq and ahc like this.
  18. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    On my BB what I am experiencing in a single detents change is something like 3/8 of a turn on the master of an amp like my MarkBass 800. It's really noticeable, and not just a little bit.
    Turn your gain all the way up, your master all the way down, then raise the master gradually detent by detent
    If your amp is like mine you'll hit a spot where the volume will jump quite a bit just with those small incremental changes. That's what causes me problems and is so easily fixed by simply using a normal smooth sweep.

19. Ok i understand. Do you feel that you must turn the gain up all the way?

20. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I’ve found that if the detents on one knob are too much of a jump, then using the higher setting on that knob but bringing down the other knob a dentent gets me where I want to go.

lo-freq likes this.