1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    The reason why I asked about the BB800/Barefaced cab combo is because I wanted to know how much flat these cabs are. The BB800 is all about purity of the signal without coloration, so I guess it should be coupled with the right cab to enjoy its capabilities.

I have another question: since the BB800 is so "transparent", how many of you guys tried to set the amp flat and use a DI pedal like the Tone Hammer, Mesa Subway or Darkglass stuff to get completely different tones.
    If it works well, it's a killer feature. Having the ability to have different amp voicings using these pedals is amazing. I never get interested in DI/preamp pedals that much but now I'm thinking about that.

Karl Kaminski likes this.
  2. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Having owned 2 Barefaced One10s I can say that The 10s are quite coloured. They are very nice sounding but, for me, were too muted in the highs. A lot of people on the FB Barefaced group say that their 12's are a good match for the BB800 but I decided to go with the Markbass STD121 HR to replace the One10s, a decision I'm very happy with.

CunniMingus likes this.
  3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm glad someone asked about the barefaced cabs. I've been looking at them for a long time. The two 12 that is.

I sometimes run an ampeg scr-di into mine and it works great, instant ampeg.

CunniMingus likes this.
  4. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    It seems the perfect amp to do this. Where do you put the DI pedal? Right before the amp or before your pedalboard (if you use one)?

5. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    It's on the pedalboard so it's ahead of the amp. But fo DI to FOH I use the amp's line out.

6. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I run a Nano+ pedalboard for portability and personal preference in general, so I don't have a preamp/DI in my board. I'd put the DI pedal on the floor after my pedalboard and before the amp, when needed. I'm curious to hear a Tone Hammer or Ampeg DI into my BB800, lots of tonal possibilities right there.

Cuniliguns likes this.
  7. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Im interested in swapping out Pres as well for different electric gigs.

For a "transparent" Cab try the ACME Low B. I use both the 110 and 210 4ohm cabs with my Acoustic image head. what you put in, is what you get out of both of these. Great for switching up between acoustic/electric, old school or modern sounds.

CunniMingus likes this.
  8. Running a VT Bass Deluxe, THDI, and MXR M81 thru the BB at various gigs and loving all of them.

CunniMingus likes this.
  9. Karl Kaminski

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    hey, do you find the different Pres result in vastly different BB settings? (i.e. do you need to fiddle with the power amp a lot, or just adjust via the Pres)

Rocksolid likes this.
  10. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    End of the chain, right?

Anyway... I talked with Alex from Barefaced and he suggested the Super Midget cab for maximum transparency of the sound and portability. It should work great into the BB800 or into a preamp/DI and then BB800.

11. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I guess you should run your BB800 with both controls at noon (flat tone) and tweak the DI pedal to get the most out of it but I never tested myself.

12. Karl Kaminski

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    thats my impression too. (I don't have a BB yet, but it might be in my future)

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the insect surfers use a quilter 800 and a barefaced 210 for their bass amp
    very clear, very present, and not even the slightest hint of mud with the vintage fender p and flats
    and if i'm correct with my math this whole setup weighed about 150 pounds less than my mesa/orange rig

CunniMingus and son_of_mogh like this.
  14. Not heaps. The Preamps are set how I like them to sound generally and the BB800 settings are more about adjusting for different rooms.

Jefenator likes this.
  15. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Bigger outside gig report: no volume issues at all for stage volume. I did adjust depth to add more bass. Could not feel the E and A string enough. 2 click to the right for the depth knob. D and G were loud and clear. One click to the right for contour. Again no issues with the line out.

bdplaid, Agosix, Valveman and 3 others like this.
  16. One Super Midget with a BB800 does everything I need and is totally transparent. I also have a Super Midget clone (minus tweeter) if I need to get stupid loud and fat. Played to 2000 people at an outdoor gig and the FOH guy said he had me turned right down in FOH, yet the rig was just cruising. This is with upright bass as well as P with flats. I always have my tone knobs set at 12 o'clock, never need to change them. I use no pedals or preamp.

17. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Hey all, I'm thinking of trying a Meatsmoke pre with the BB. Seems like it would be a great match. Are any of you BB players using that rig, or have tried it? Seems like a perfect light-weight high power tube sounding rig? Then I can switch out other preamps for different flavors if I want. No tonal commitments :)

Rocksolid likes this.
  18. I reckon that would kill. There is a Meatsmoke near me for sale currently. Please report back if you try it.

donahue likes this.
  19. Valveman

Valveman Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Rural Twin Cities
    I posted this last Sunday but since you asked...

It is a great match! I like a clean, warm, fat tone, with no distortion at all. I had to tame the Meatsmoke by using NOS 12AU7 tubes. I've rolled a few and found what works best is a Sylvania 12AU7 from the 60s and a Philco 12AU7 from 1953. Surprisingly I found that some Toshiba 12AU7s from 1961 are wonderfully clear and clean. However if drive and distortion is what you crave, the Meatsmoke can give you all you want with higher gain tubes. Along with (2) Eminence Kappalite 3015 speakers and 2+ years with flat wounds does makes for some fine thumping! Only fine tuning adjustments are needed with the BB800.

2018-07-01 rig.

CunniMingus, Rocksolid and donahue like this.
  20. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you Valveman! I also run 3015s. Very helpful.