1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Consequently, I may be open to selling this, if anyone needs a way to rackmount their BB800.

Attached Files:

2. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I just picked up a BB800 and am planning on trying it on my gig next weekend. The one thing holding my back is that it seems like the Master affects the volume of the DI.

I use the DI to feed the FOH and my amp becomes a stage monitor. We have no sound person so we set the levels once before we start. During the gig, I'll tweak my amp level for monitoring. With the BB800, this will affect the FOH level.

Did I miss something? Or, is there a way around this?

3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    No

No

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    It's not - technically - a DI. It's an XLR out and is affected by the master.

5. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I'm thinking this might be more of a short term fling than a long term affair. :(

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    This has been documented ad nasueum over the 150+ pages and in the manual. Get a cheap DI if really need it and enjoy the amp.

Jefenator, Col Pruse, kasbrey and 2 others like this.
  7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Or just wait until the first set break to adjust your amp, so you can make the necessary changes at the board at the same time.

Honestly, too many folks are overthinking the whole DI/XLR out thing.
    I've put this thing through 600+ gigs in the 2+ years I've owned it, and only once did I have any issue. (It was a soundguy who had no idea how to use the board at the venue.)

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Understood. And I'll definitely try the amp next weekend.

I do like the natural sounding breakup (with the gain control), the simple tone controls and the ability to use it an 800 watt power amp.

I've been meaning to pickup a Tech 21 Q Strip for a while now. The BB800 pushed me over the edge. Just ordered one and it'll be here on Sunday. If the Q Strip works out, it could give me way more options and solve the DI issue. I'll just need to get a 1/4" to XLR cable.

I guess it just amazes me that something like a pre / post switch isn't included on a bass amp.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Why? It was never intended to be a DI. Think pro audio power amp with a line out and a minimalist EQ section. Seems like a lot of people not happy with the Quilter's EQ or "DI" options could solve those issues very easily with any number of Pre/DI's available. It's kinda what the BB800 was designed for. If you want a bunch of built in EQ and I/O options a Mesa Subway would probably be a better amp for you. Personally I like being able to choose and change the flavor of EQ and DI.

10. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    At least IMO, I think there were some very specific design goals happening with the BB800 -- as far as it being part of a "system" -- that lead to some of those design choices. Everything from the size, the line in/out, 1/4" outputs, etc are there to serve the system, which involves the quilter cabs, the docking feature, linking multiple amps/cabs together, etc... The stuff that some of us feel is "left off" - like DI with ground/pre post or multiple speakon outs - didn't fit (physically) within the system design.

Again, that is all IMO.

11. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That Q strip looks very cool, and like something that would pair very well with the BB800. It would give you crazy amount of options as far as EQ and ins/outs.

Seems like lots of guys are using something in front of the BB800.
    Also seems like a LOT of guy decide that they like running into the front end of the amp with their pre rather than the XLR on the back. This option would let you just use a regular guitar cable. Use the active input if you do this.

12. Abe-of-Bass

Abe-of-Bass

May 4, 2016
    Oregon
    The BB800 and Q Strip pairing is absolutely glorious for me. Flexible EQ options to adjust to the room, and the sound is nice and full.

DB5, CharlieC, LeonD and 1 other person like this.
  13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have been wanting to try the Q strip

14. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Do you go into the BB800 with the Q Strip thru the 1/4" on the front or the XLR in on the back?

15. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Meaning no disrespect, but this has been discussed to death. It's not a DI, it's a Line Out. It's designed to mirror the output of the preamp. But it works fine as a line-level DI. search the posts and you'll see A LOT of discussion about this.

16. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I too use a qstrip into the quilter. Great pairing! I run it right into the preamp.

lo-freq likes this.
  17. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The natural compression is wonderful. I don't hear much breakup, but the squash is a lot of fun.

I have a Q-Strip and have used it with the BB800. I prefer the amp alone. The Q strip is OK, but in the end it's too much work for what I do. I have found in my many months with the BB800 that's it's quite easy to dial in a sound and just leave it as-is. I reserve the Q for amps which give me problems, such as a boomy combo, et al.

Again, meaning no disrespect, but a general comment on the expectations of bass players: Why in heaven we expect a DI to be on every amp we buy is beyond me. Many amps have them, and I expect that is why. But DI'ing a bass into FOH has always been to me the lazy tech's way of amplifying the bass. Guitarists don't do it because they rely heavily on their amp for their sound. Don't we bassist also rely on the amp for our sound? Generally, DI'ing the bass circumvents anything we do with the amp. The DI would need some kind of speaker emulation, but then, if one has a special cab like an expensive barefaced, et al, that's kinda weird, too. So if I want to spend $2K+ on an amp that does nothing for FOH, that sounds kinda dumb to me. Mic it, or be satisfied with a FOH sound that bears little resemblance to what you have onstage.

lo-freq likes this.
  18. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    My take on the DI issue is that Quilter guitar amps (like the 201 and 101 Mini) have an Effects Send that can be connected to a DI to send the pre-Master preamp signal to front-of-house or a recording interface. So really all we are asking is for the Quilter bass amp to include a feature that is already built into their guitar amps.

On the other hand, the BB800's Gain and Master controls are interactive. So the Master control really is part of the "tone stack." From that perspective, it is actually very sensible to include the Master in your signal path, because it is an important element in your tone.

A simple pre/post switch would be the best of both worlds.

lo-freq likes this.
  19. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I still see this as the biggest non-issue of all time ever. I have gone directed with the quilter at many gigs, and its never been an issue. Works great. For hard core pros playing arenas maybe not, but for small venues its fine

20. Abe-of-Bass

Abe-of-Bass

May 4, 2016
    Oregon
    I plug the Q Strip into the front 1/4" so it goes through the preamp on the Quilter. With the controls set at noon the Quilter is dead flat and transparent but retains the flexibility to adjust as necessary, and the limiter is there if needed/wanted.

I use the XLR out on the Q Strip for DI to the house.

hennessybass, LeonD and CharlieC like this.