1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Good catch. Corrected.

2. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    What was this taller bassliner looking cab?......
    F08BDE49-EEAB-4BCB-8609-64EF2314FB0E.

3. peteratquilter

peteratquilter Commercial User

Nov 9, 2017
    Quilter Labs
    cabmeme.

:) It's a prototype, but it's not a 2x12. That's all I can say for now.

lo-freq, GBass001, CharlieC and 7 others like this.
  4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    1x15?!?!:woot::hyper::bassist:

son_of_mogh and hennessybass like this.
  5. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Ooooo 4x10 or even a 4x8? If it is a 4x8 I might be getting some GAS. Not saying a 4x10 would be bad, but as a long time Henry the 8x8 owner I have always had a soft spot for 8s.

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I second a 4x8, that would be very cool and damn punchy

The Rage likes this.
  7. bassvet

bassvet

Dec 22, 2018
    I'm waiting for it (Rumble 800), because I sold my BB800. Not enough tone flexibility, and I've read some threads here where some bassists use outboard gear in conjunction with the amp. The EQ flexibility of the Rumble 800, outshines that of the Quilter IMHO. Can't wait for it.

8. ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    As much as I am a BB800 fan, post up a comparison when you get the Rumble. It might help others in your situation. BB800 EQ section is exactly what I wanted. Everyone who sells it and even some who keep it seem to have problems with the EQ section (so your dislike of the BB800 is certainly not without merit).

I love the BB800 without an outboard EQ (generally playing a G&L JB5, G&L L2500, G&L L5000, or Nordstrand pickup and pre loaded Ibanez SR885LE). Plug in the bass and make a few minor knob tweaks away from flatline (slightly different spot depending on the bass, though I could be happy with all at the same setting). At that point I run with it. Same process for my other heads, which have 5 band EQs. Slight tweaks away from flatline. This is why I prefer 2 knob EQ (easier to quickly adjust away from flatline than 5 sliders). I am sure cabinet choice plays a part (just as much as bass choice). I am running mine through a Phil Jones Compact 8 and occasionally an SWR Henry the 8x8 (original Celestion BG8-60 version).

lo-freq likes this.
  9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Flexibility??? If you want flexibility keep the Quilter and put a preamp in front of it. Depending on bass, band, room etc I'll put a Noble, Barber Linden, EBS Valve Drive, Southampton 5th Gear, Empress ParaEQ, RMI Sonic Spark or DTAR Solstice in front of the BB800. I guarantee pretty much any 2 or 3 of those will give you as much flexibility as a Rumble. It might even sound a lot better....

10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I have a Rumble 800 on order as well, but I'm not getting rid of the Quilter just yet. Tone flexibility is definitely limited, but I find cab matching is crucial with the BB800. With my DNA DNS112C's the Quilter sounds glorious, but with my EA Wizzy MLine it is okay at best. I hoping the extra control of the Rumble will help get more out of the Wizzy.

11. ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Liked the BB800 so much that I upgraded my banjo amp. Mini 101 with blockdock 10.

8729A16B-0CEE-4048-866E-E5C198CE4AEF.

12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Love it! Two questions for you:
    1. Have you tested the BlockDock 10 cabinet with bass? I wonder if it sounds good as a low-volume bass practice amp? Do you think it could keep up with, say for example, a couple of acoustic guitars and hand percussion?
    2. I see you've put the 101 head on top, instead of "docking" it. Any particular reason?

13. ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    1. I do not have a speakon to 1/4 cable to test bass block into the 10. However, I do not think it would sound great. I believe the speaker is a mid-driver (more voices for guitar). The 12” guitar dock might work. I believe it actually uses a bass speaker, but has an open back (so cabinet tuning may not be the greatest for bass).

2. The cabinet is incredibly short. I will dock it, if I travel with it. I had it docked initially but controls were harder to reach than with the head on top (noting that I typically practice seated and not standing in the room where I keep this setup).

Mushroo likes this.
  14. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for answering my questions! The 101 Mini head looks great on top. You can use it either way; I can see it's a thoughtfully designed product. I like how you chose the right cable to match the color of the white knobs and the piping around the grille cloth.

ahadl2500 likes this.
  15. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    There was a prototype Quilter 110 bass cab that just sold in the classifieds.
    I thought it would make the perfect "combo" amp for just what you are describing.

Mushroo likes this.
  16. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I saw that, but I wasn't sure the Mini 101 would fit. I think the 101 is a different "footprint" from the BB800 and they are not "BlockDock interchangeable" (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's a moot point anyway, as I have a custom cabinet in the works. :)

hennessybass likes this.
  17. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I don't know how I feel about the "blockdock" and rackmount options, as in the manual for the BB800 it clearly states that you should never block the side vents.
    But neither the cabs nor rackmount tray have any ventilation for the sides.
    Seems potentially hazardous to the life of the product.
    Which makes it seem like a giant oversight by a company that's normally three steps ahead of the consumer.

But maybe I'm the only one?
    Or there's something I don't know?

Mushroo likes this.
  18. ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    For the bass block in the corresponding dock cabinets, there appears to be a small gap between the amp and the side of the cabinet (looked at photos when I was considering the bassliner cabs). Probably enough for airflow (admittedly not as much as free air, but I suspect enough). For the rack mount kits, they are intended for their guitar heads (which do not have fans). Noting that this is from what I have seen. I do not own a Quilter Bass Cabinet (using a Phil Jones Bass with my BB800). I also do not own the tone block (head that the rack kit is advertised with). I do know that my mini 101 does not have a fan and from photos, I do not see one on the other Quilter Guitar heads.

redstrand likes this.
  19. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That and the fan kicks enough air as it is. The gap is fine.

20. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I can dig that.
    And if there is enough gap on the cabinets, then that explains that.

My worry is then centered on the rackmount.
    When I had a gig that required me to rackmount my Quilter (4lbs of amp in 30lbs of rackcase. sheer stupidity), the only option was the rackmount that Quilter sells, and the BB800 has the fittings to make that work. But without vents on the side, I didn't feel good about racking it in the suggested fashion.
    I instead drilled holes in the middle of the tray that corresponded with the feet, and got slightly longer screws that fit the feet screw spacing.
    So I had air on both sides, and my head was very firmly attached.
    But it left me somewhat concerned about the vents.

Maybe I should suggest to @peteratquilter that they modify the rack they sell with holes and screws to mount a single block on the tray...
    I'll try and post pics in a bit, if anyone's curious.

ahadl2500 and redstrand like this.