1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quilter Bass Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tjreclus, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I’m looking pretty hard at the Q Strip all the sudden.

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    +1.
    I have used the BB800 line out to FOH without complaints from soundfolk, but will use the Q/Strip DI for my gig this weekend. I am really loving the Q/Strip for a variety of situations. I don't really need it with the BB800, which sounds awesome on its own, but I like the tweakability and DI option the Q/Strip provides.

I'm playing a roots reggae gig this weekend and put together a nice assortment of low-end boosting options on my pedalboard. I have a Boss LS-2 into a Boss OC-2, an EHX Mole, and a DOD FX25 (set to not allow filter to open), then into an fdeck HPF-3, Keeley Bassist comp, then the Q/Strip. The low end, especially from the dub-tastic FX25, is earth-shaking through one of my fEARless 12/6s. It's great to have 500 watts available for the 8-ohm cab. I could bring both cabs to the gig, but I might cause seismic damage.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Do you feel a need to use both the HPF-3 and Q/Strip? I was hoping the Q/Strip would make the HPF-3 redundant.

son_of_mogh and Joe Smithberger like this.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Good question, LeonD. I've been using the HPF-3 for years and have found it really helpful in quickly dialing in the bottom end. I haven't been using it since I got the Q/Strip, as the onboard hpf cleans up the bottom end nicely. I decided to add the HPF-3 specifically for this gig due to the massive low end that the FX25 is capable of. The HPF-3 has a 24db/octave slope below 35 hz, whereas the Q/Strip's hpf's is 12dB/octave at 45hz, so the HPF-3 will more aggressively cut the super-low frequencies and is adjustable.

Honestly, I've been playing mostly jazz duo and trio gigs lately, and haven't had the chance to crank up the volume for a reggae gig for a few months, so I'm enjoying tinkering around with my pedalboard. I'm sure the Q/Strip would be fine by itself, but it's fun to experiment! I'm a 57-year-old kid playing with his toys.....

5. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I prefer to run my Olympic MKIIIS in the BB800's line in, it works way better for me. With other amps, if there's no line in, I use the FX loop return, otherwise I go into the front leaving all controls flat.

It seems a great tool suited for guitar, bass, maybe other instruments as well.

6. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    You can also buy a similar device that is a ground lift.

When I first got the BB I thought about buying both to have in the gig bag to cover all cercumstances. But I have a DI anyway.

I’ve never had a problem with using the line out to send to FOH.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I’ve only had one instance of each.
    One soundguy who didn’t know how to use his board, couldn’t find the pad button and didn’t want to actually use his gain knob or volume fader.
    And 1 venue where i needed a ground lift.
    Again, that’s out of 600+ gigs and sessions.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Because I'm me, I went full overkill mode and bought a Fryette Valvulator as my DI of choice to pair with my BB800. It is the same half-rack format and stacks perfectly on top of the Quilter. It's got 4 real tubes inside, as much gain as you could ever want or need (and then some!), traditional B/M/T eq controls, a cab sim, and not one but two XLR outs. Output 1 is a transparent, tube-buffered unity DI, and Output 2 has all the bells and whistles in the signal path, with the optional cab sim.

Counting the Valvulator's 2 DI's, the Quilter's Line Out, the option to mic my cab, and my willingness to use the house DI if provided, that gives a grand total of 5 options for the sound guy to work with. Lots of good tones in that bouquet!

Bottom line is that the Quilter BB800 is a great pairing with any kind of half-rack format preamp or DI.

Lowendtech, CharlieC and Agosix like this.
  9. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Most of us have a preamp/DI in the pedalboard, I don't see that as a problem.
    I used the line out of the BB800 though, and never had problems.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  10. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Do you have some kind of case , or are you just stacking one on the other?

A while back I thought about adding a Summit TD-100. Half rack tube DI.

11. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Manfrotto backpack that @Real Soon mentioned in post #843 fits both the Quilter BB800 (in the top compartment) and the Fryette GP/DI (in the bottom compartment).

If you have dimensions on the Summit, I'd be happy to measure if it will fit. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Real Soon likes this.
  12. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The Summit is 1U x 1half rack x 8.5 deep. A little deeper than the BB. I think it would fit just fine in that backpack.

I was actually thinking of some kind of "hard case" with both to make a little lunch box size amp. The tilt back front of the BB800 might make it funny if you put something on top of it. You would have to set it back far enough so that the the piece of top wouldn't interfere with access to the BB knobs or prevent a 1/4" cable from being plugged in.

I'm actually looking pretty hard at floor style pre/DI boxes right now. Noble has been on the list for a long time, but the Q Strip and Olympic. Mesa is on the list too, but I had the Subway D800 briefly, and didn't bond with it, so I'm hesitant to go down that road again. New project is wanting some fuzz and distortion tones, so I'm kind of thinking a pedal board type solution might be good. Also some cab sim.

13. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I don't know about that. The BB800 is 7.5" deep, and it is just such a perfect and snug fit in both the top and bottom compartments. You could probably just fit an 8.5" deep unit in the bottom compartment, but you'd have to take out an entire layer of padding.

Another option I very seriously considered was the BB800 + Noble DI on a Pedaltrain Metro 16 board, with a hardshell roadcase. My cabinets are 16" wide so it would have been a perfect fit. :)

14. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Good to know. I think I'm leaning more to a pedal type pre, but there is just so much cool stuff out there.
    As I get going on a pedal board for the new band, I'm thinking about cases and bags. Need to revisit that backpack maybe.

I also thought about the BB800 on a board with just one or two pedals on-top of the cab. I don't really care for pedals on the floor and don't mind just clicking one on or off up on top of the cab. Mostly use them as a "sound" for a song, not an effect for part of a song.
    ITK_Na0-QHKVcfmHO4Ic8XIHoS5FEILpEFfARj8o07hy4ren-6gPqktQNUZG8_DSSr5xi4_vWBVIytKNE18=w883-h662-no.

So many options.

15. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    I can attest the Porkloin into the BB800 is a sweet combo. I use mine always on

I also added the MXR Bass Pre that I use primarily as a clean boost as needed - or as a DI at the end of my board. Very useful pedal

Zbysek and son_of_mogh like this.
  16. After half a year, I will sell my Bass Block 800. It's a great amp, but it is not for me. It packs a mighty punch, especially for the $, but to me it lacks warmth/character. Coming from an Eden amp, it sounds too "naked" to me.

I test drove the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and the Mesa Subway D800 yesterday and bought the Mesa to replace my Quilter.

Zbysek likes this.
  17. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Had you considered putting a WTDI in front of the Quilter?

Lowendtech, Zbysek and CunniMingus like this.
  18. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I was about to suggest the same thing. Having a line in allows you to use any kind of preamp into the BB800.

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Yeah, I considered going down the preamp route, but my goal really is to have as little gear as possible. I don't want to add another box to make my amp sound good.

CunniMingus, bdplaid and LeonD like this.