Quirky Rock Groups

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm really reaching here:

I started a thread a while back about "Happy music that doesn't suck." It flopped because I didn't know what I wanted, now I do... nah, not really.

The bands I like that are happy have a certain weirdness to them, very odd, yet happy...ish.

Oingo Boingo
    Joe Jackson

I guess the term New Wave could be used :meh: Also, note all these bands have great bassists ;)

So... happish bands that have a certain edge that sets them apart from the rest... sort of.

My god, I just don't make any damn sense anymore.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Would They Might Be Giants count?

brad cook
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    nothing wrong with new wave matt ;)

devo are a brilliant band. i'd recommend you listen to mclusky. particularly "lightsaber ****sucking blues"

a bit heavier than the bands you have listed, but i think you'll dig them anyway.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They most certainly would. In fact, I don't know why I didn't include them on my examples list.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    For a more recent example, Cake is pretty quirky....and most excellent.
  6. what about Zwan? When you have rainbows on your CD cover, you're kinda quirky...
  7. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also OK Go. I think they only have one album out and it's self-titled. I picked up out of curiousity once at Target because it was about 8 bucks and I've really dug...definitely quirky, definitely cool, very catchy.

brad cook
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Awesome awesome band. Hilarious and hard-rocking.
  10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Phish is probably the quirkyest (is that a word?) rock band I've ever heard of...
  11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo RULE! Creative, unique, and talented!
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I saw the Flaming Lips in the late 80s at a small club in Raleigh, NC. At the time, they were more of a grungy punk band whose claim to fame was (I kid you not) being the loudest band in America. My ears rang VIOLENTLY for a week and it was hard to even discern notes during the show.

For my tastes, it begins and ends with Devo. No matter how my tastes have shifted and no matter how repellent I find the majority of 80s music to be, I will always have a soft spot for the Spuds. They were actually fantastic live.

I also dug Missing Persons back in the day, but that was probably due to the fact that I automatically liked (and still do) anything associated with Zappa.
  13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I would reccommend the Unicorns. They're a fun, indie-pop trio that writes songs about ghosts, being unicorns, arguing about which bandmember writes the song, flying in rocket ships etc.
    Great live band, the guitarist/bassist looks like one of the Kids in the Hall.

14. I'm gonna second Josh on Dolby. Unexpected musical turns of phrase, human-sounding synths, synthetic-sounding humans... and dude can write and play too.

I am also gonna second whoever said Joe Jackson, whose work has only gotten better since he stopped caring what we think about him. XTC are kind of losing me at the moment as they're having problems keeping a record deal, but their mainstream stuff from Drums and Wires on up through Nonesuch (especially Skylarking and Oranges And Lemons) is mighty fine pop confection. And you could learn a thing or two from Colin Moulding's bass lines.

Let's not forget XTC's alter egos, The Dukes Of Stratosphear, either.
  15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Echo and the Bunnymen anyone? (do ya think they count?)
  16. The Dead Milkmen! I think The Advantage could count too. Most NES songs are happy sounding.
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How about Cibo Matto....well they're quirky but not really like any of the other bands.

brad cook
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    All good recommendations.

I'll have to check them out!
    Thomas Dolby, from what I've heard, is awesome.