R.I.P. EQD Cloven Hoof

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maplebar, Oct 6, 2020.

1. maplebar

maplebar

May 21, 2020
    California
  2. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Oooo too bad, that was an outstanding fuzz. If you’re looking for a Muff with great high mid presence it’s a solid choice.

maplebar likes this.
  3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Has someone compared the ‘Cloven Hoof’ to the ‘Hoof’?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    they both use basically the same circuit but with a few different components. the cloven hoof replaces the hoof's two low gain silicon 2N3904 transistors with higher gain 2N5089 ones, the two germanium 2N1308 transistors with silicon MPSA13's, removes one 470pf capacitor, and replaces the red leds for clipping with 1n4148's. the cloven has more low end and more fuzz.

SunnBass and maplebar like this.
  5. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Cloven is way better for bass than the standard Hoof or Hoof Reaper.

6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I haven played the Cloven but the Hoof is fabulous on bass if you want a lighter creamy fuzz. There is a Cloven in the TB Effects classifieds looking for a new home right now

7. The Cloven Hoof is definitely the best fuzz I've ever owned or played through so far. Just means my board is now a little extra special for having a discontinued EQD on it.

maplebar likes this.
  8. I've just ordered one. Some places still have them in stock in the UK, however some are out and that could well be it.

I thought the regular Hoof was okay on bass but I'm looking forward to the Cloven.

9. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    I mean, I guess it depends on your needs, but for me, after A/Bing all 3 Hoof variants, the Cloven had the most headroom and low end, which made it the clear choice for bass.

DosiYanarchy likes this.
  10. maplebar

maplebar

May 21, 2020
    California
    Here’s a classic:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021