1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NineSpine, Aug 24, 2007.

1. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    Ive been considering getting rid of my chorus pedal (Boss Bass Chorus) and replacing it with a rack unit. This is because I pretty much just leave the thing on 100% of the time anyway, lightly chorusing my tone.

Are there any rack units anyone suggests that I could do the same with?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Maybe hard to find, but DOD made an excellent one back in the '70s. Also Rockman (Tom Scholz) had a killer half-rack chorus. And I actually like the chorus in some of the Lexicon rack units I've used; it's a very different flavor from the old analog ones, but cool nonetheless.

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    maybe, if you are lucky, you could find a discontinued TC 1210.
    Roscoe Beck uses one in his rack.
    The TC SCF Pedal might be an option, although it is a pedal. But the input level is controllable.

4. I used to use an Alesis Midi Verb 4 when I had a rack setup. I'd recommend it's use for a chorus.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I have and like the old Scholz R&D half-rack chorus/delay, and also an old ADA S1000 flange/chorus/delay.

If you can find 'em, I wouldn't imagine either piece would be very spendy.

6. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX

+1 on the TC 1210...It is a beautiful sounding rack chorus...they are hard to find and expensive, but really sounds amazing...

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    ...and of course everybody and his brother has a chorus in their rack multi, so if you find a multi w/ a flavor of chorus that you like, there ya go.

If you're after a harder 80s/90s chorus, lots of units from the Quadraverbs on (including some of Lexicon's budget offerings and even the Digitech Studio Quad) can get you that. Those (and more) are pretty common on the used market for cheap.

I haven't heard a modestly priced rack multi that gives you something like a Small Clone or Analog.Man Chorus sound, but I haven't been looking very hard either.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The little bitty Lexicon Alex does a nice chorus IMHO, as does the rather psycho (but also little bitty) Vortex. These are more analog sounding than many rack units, or at least "warmer", maybe because of the low bit resolution?

I'm partial to the Rocktron Intellifex, plentiful and pretty cheap used. The Intellifex would make more sense if you like to switch patches a lot, since it does so very seamlessly. It also does stereo imaging really well IME.

9. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    To elaborate further:

Chorus is a very integral part of my sound and my writing. I use various chorus effects for different things, but I always keep a light one on at all times. Just to free up space on my pedalboard, I want to remove the chorus I dont turn off (and my tuner actually) to add a rack unit with a chorus, tuner, power conditioner, and possibly a compressor...

10. RE: my recommendation on the Alesis Midi Verb 4 - That's how I used it; subtle chorus on all the time. If, on the other hand, you were thinking of switching between settings on the Alesis, I can't recommend it as the unit does not switch between settings seamlessly at all.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    How'bout that Replefex?! My Bro (a guitarist) has one, and I LOVE some the the patches he has.

..But the ones that I like, you wouldn't want to leave on all the time, I don't think - it'd make everyone seasick! That thing does some real mind-bending choruses.

Does the Inelli' do those oh-so gooey-gooey ones too, Passin?

Joe

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Y'know: after reading this claim so many times, I'm tempted to start a thread to ask "what-in-the-world kind of music does a bassist do, inwhich he'd leave a chorus on all-the-time??".

Joe

13. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    My primary project is a band that plays a combination of very ambient post-rock and very aggressive "wall-of-sound" style sludge metal.

I also write my own music, which consists of two basses, drums, and electronics, which is very ambient as well.

The constant light chorus brings my highs out in a very, very nice way to compliment that style of ambient music. Normally, bringing out your highs can cause too harsh a sound for that, especially if you get some buzz, which can kill the mood entirely.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    What NineSpine said.

...or 80's glam rock and electronica :ninja:

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    New Wave, or maybe a mix that is otherwise very sparse-sounding.

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Hey Joe,

Yeah, there are eight independently programmable voices. Four is already pretty danged swirly though.

For a light sheen, which is what I'd maybe leave on all the time, I'd generally use two of the eight. I used to gig a lot with just a drummer and me. A little chorus (in stereo, with two cabs) helped a ton in keeping a full sound in that context. For me, it was mostly just about adding sheen to my fretless basses. And I played fretless all the time, so...:cool:

The last few years I've just been gigging on EUB. Chorus sounds cool on it and all, but the lounge jazz stuff I play can prolly do without it.

17. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    If you like it, I'd say take your Boss pedal remove the enclosure, get a 1U rack enclosure and put the pedal PCB in there...
    Just an idea.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ack! How did I forget about that one? And I listen to New Order and A Flock of Seagulls!

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heeey - I think I get it now..

Yeah - Flock Of Seagulls!

I still just-gotta get one of those mind-bending warpo-choruses. It's a good point, though, that STEREO would be the full-effect.

~~~~~~~~
    Well - I gotta run. Still don't have internet at my apartment...

Talk to y'all next week!

Joe

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Pino Palladino with Gary Numan. *tries to think of appropriate "woot"-like comment to indicate rocking out with Numan, fails, resorts to staring coldly into the distance*