1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rackmountable power amp for my oldschool rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andersson, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    I have been collecting quite a nice little gang of old Trace Elliot pre-amps and cabs lately :D
    Now i want to mount them into a rack and play them!
    I managed to get my hands on and old working Trace Elliot PPA1200 too.... but its heavy, and i dont feel like mounting it my shallow homebuilt rack righ now.
    So im looking for a good, lightweight, but cheap power amp to match 4 x 300 w TE cabs (i will probably only use one channel and two cabs most of the time).

I dont have any knowledge on whats on the market, but i found a couple that might be ok (you tell me).

Peavey IPR2000
    Behringer KM1700

2. If you're looking to go old school, check out the ol' one rack space Carvers.

3. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I get an old school tone too.
    My power amp is a Crest 2.0 - non-dsp version.

Andersson likes this.
  4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    By saying you want a rackmount power amp that criteria alone narrows it down to, well, basically all of them.

I would go with just about anything from from QSC or Crown that fits your budget and power needs.

5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i use a crown xls1000 class D power amp in one of my rigs. it was inexpensive, weighs very little, and sounds fantastic. i use the hpf set to 50hz. although I'm not sure I am telling much a difference with the hpf engaged.

Andersson and BasturdBlaster like this.
  6. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Hunt. Co., New Jersey
    I have a qsc plx 1202 for sale.... 325 a channel at 4 ohm....

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    As the pre-amps do most of the tone shaping any and pretty much all two space stereo power amps will fit your needs. I’d look at Class D units that are available in your area.

8. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    Seems to get a fair amount of good reviews, and the power vs money is awesome - BUT it looks very plastic..!? I cant stand plastic... my stomach twists and i feel sick :(

Crown XLS seems like a good choice. Im actually thinking that XLS 2002 could be just what im looking for.

Khronic likes this.
  9. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    Im thinking....that i want to test the XLS. BUT.... if i buy the smallest modell, XLS 1002, for a two-cab setup (2x300w):
    Power: 2x 550 Watt / 2 Ohm, 2x 350 Watt / 4 Ohm, 2x 215 Watt / 8 Ohm, bridged 1x 1100 Watt / 4 Ohm, bridged 1x 700 Watt / 8 Ohm

Can i easily extend my rack with another XLS 1002 if i find this combination too weak or to drive two more cabs?

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Drop the coin and get something with more power for starters. I use the XLS 1500 & 2500's. What does the secondhand market have to offer in your neck of the woods?

Riis

11. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    But how much do i actually need to drive these cabs?
    Cant find any used Crown XLS's around in my country... and im not the patient type, so not going to wait for something to pop up ;)

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ScreenHunter_192_Apr._14_16.16_original.

There's your Crown. The Peavey specs are probably similar. I'd probably got with the 2002 but that's just me.

Edit: BTW, I also heard there's no junk food in Norway.

Riis

Andersson likes this.
  13. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    Thank you! I need to think this over during the evening.

And you are correct.., there is no junk food over here. Just fresh fish and veggies :woot:

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This Carvin is 10 pounds around $450.

The reason I suggest you give it a look is four completely separate power amps. Three cabinet math can get weird. But if you were to run EACH cab on a separate channel.....well.....it should go boom.
    DCM2004L Ultra Light 4-Channel 2000W Power Amp

Edit to add: It could also be fun for playing around with at home. Run a different pre into three channels and each channel into its own cab. You could really get to know the differences in the preamps that way.

Andersson likes this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My brother spent Christmas there a couple years back whilst on a Northern Lights tour. The townspeople pretty much locked themselves inside and peeked out from behind the curtains.

Assuming each enclosure is 8 ohm, you could hook up all 4 enclosures and each would see ~300 watts (2 enclosures per channel) using a 2002-ish power amp. Watts be cheap.

Riis

16. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    My cabs are 8 ohms each. Two 4x10 and two 1x18 (even two 1x15`s to use instead of the 18`s if i want).
    I have one combination at home, and another in our rehersal room. It will most probably stay like that for most of the time, but when rigging up our equipment for concerts, i would like to hook up all 4 cabs just for that nostalgic feeling (not that i actually need it).
    I can see that the 2002 can drive all 4 cabs, but will i be able to with TWO 1002 also? If i run the 1002 in bridged mode, it makes 1100w with 4 ohm - plenty for 2 chained cabs right? Then one more amp for the other 2 cabs...?
    If thats possible, i would have two kickass rigs, with the option to run everything together. Or am i way off...?

Btw, when i play two of these cabs with my Markbass Nano (300w Class D), it plays amazingly loud. (if thats comparable in any way)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  17. John Swartz

John Swartz

Apr 9, 2008
    I use a Peavey IPR 3000 and think it's great (its one of the first generation IPRs, which were silver instead of black that the "IPR2 series" have) - only about 7 lbs and fits with my pre-amp in a shallow rack box for great portability and light weight.

John

Andersson likes this.
  18. Andersson

Andersson

Jan 11, 2017
    Norway
    Thats us Norwegians....

Btw, i jumped into it and have just ordered a Crown XLS 2002!! Could not find a good reason why i shouldnt :D
    Really looking forward to test that beast :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

mesaplayer83 and BasturdBlaster like this.
  19. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I have 3 Crown XLS drivecore amps and have been very happy with them, I'm sure you will be too:thumbsup:

Andersson likes this.