1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Radar...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Gay-dar. What other *intelligence gathering* apparatus- imaginary or otherwise- do you have? As a now-fairly-longtime(going on a decade)stay-at-home dad, I can discern between poop & chocolate smears at 20 paces. Not sure what to call it though; crap-dar? Doesn't really roll off the tongue now does it?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    turd tingles?

3. I have the ability to say five words or less and cause people to rage.

My internal BS-detector is also top-line. In order to emit, the detector must be twice as powerful to cut through the interference.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For a while I was obsessed with short and medium scale basses, and it got to where I could spot the scale length from quite a distance.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Asian chicks. Enough said.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I can identify the engine in most (or at least many) performance cars by their sound as they drive by - without seeing the vehicle.

I think that is fairly common among street rodders, though.

7. 20+ years ago, my now-wife's chow-lab mix could ID my VW's :spit:-toned 1100cc of German engineering coming around the corner to come see *mom*. Dizzayam- the memories this thread has stirred. TB, once again, you bring a tear to my eye...

8. We would expect nothing less from you. Maki. :cool:

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have horrrrrrrible gay-dar.

And a potent subconscious attraction to lesbians.

This makes for an amusingly painful history of unrequited love.:meh:

Most of my sixth sense skills pertain to music related stuff that's probably pretty common around here -- i.e. good ear.

10. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    I'm virtually oblivious to everything, I befriend people that later I realize they are idiots, and neglect to meet people that later become my friends. Every time I guess someone is gay, I'm wrong, so no gay-dar for me. But the worst is I can never tell when my partner is angry until there is a meltdown, and no bunch of flowers or chocolates or dinner or breakfast in bed will solve the aftermath.

11. On a serious note, there have been several times that I've *gotten a funny feeling*, called the wife & told her to check the kids, to find out the then 2 or 3-yr-old was outside, near the street or something similar. She(wife)has had the same experience more than once.

12. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Poodar?

For some reason, it sounds better if you put the accent on the second syllable.

I'm pretty good at finding golf balls (mostly as a result of lots of practice looking for them) :atoz: However, balldar could be misinterpreted.

13. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I can sense failure before it happens. I get that strange tingling in my toes every time I try to do something.

14. Yu know, I think any parent of a child over 6 mos old has poodar.

15. That also may be right before Mark Wilson posts a thread........:bag:

16. It bugs the people I work with that I can name what plane is taking off or landing just by the way it sounds. Most of them can tell the difference between an A-300, a 757, a 767 or a DC-8 when they're sitting on the ramp, some of them can tell a 747 from and MD-11 or an A-300 by the lights as they are landing but as far as I know I'm the only one there that can tell what they are by the sound.

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    My friends think I have a spider-sense for girls bending down.

This, and my beaten knee hurts when it's about to rain.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have it on good authority that I am incredibly dense and have no kind of sense: Extra-sensory or otherwise.

19. I have a fine tuned BS detector and the ability to completely tune out certain sounds. I was at a restaurant with my brother and some friends and they kept jumping at the sound of screaming child a couple booths over. I had to ask them what was wrong cause I couldn't even hear it.

20. My gay-dar is spot on.