1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RANT: It's an award show, please leave it at that.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SteveC, Sep 7, 2008.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I thought I'd give it a chance. I don't know why I watch this mostly lame production. Anyway, regardless of your opinion, I wish they'd just leave politics out of these shows - not just the VMA's, but Oscar, Emmy, whatever. Just do the show.

And quit thanking God. :rolleyes:

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    These people have a platform to express their views. It's no different from Talkbass, or a newspaper article.

3. I'd rather watch a car wreck than MTV or VH1. What a bunch of crap, 24/7/365 :spit:

4. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    MTV GET OFF THE AIR

5. We're not supposed to discuss politics or religion here either:bag:

But yeah, like I care what a 9th grade dropout drug addict has to say about the war, or who a former gang-banging rapper wants to be in the White House in February....

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You know, I gave it a chance I really did...now I'm heading to the bathroom to induce some vomiting.
    I hate what it's become.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    If you don't want to watch it, turn it off. If you don't want to read what I post, push the ignore button...

Also, since when have someone's credentials/past stopped them from making profound statements? I'm not saying that MTV is going to have Lil Wayne say something mindblowingly deep, but remember, just because someone has a checkered past doesn't mean they don't have the capacity for deep, intellectual thought.

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    VH1 does play concerts every Friday though. Old beat club, grey whistle test and others. They're kinda cool.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    MTV needs to go away, now. I watched a little bit of it while I was in a hotel, and it really, really needs to go.

10. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Never even knew it was on. TV never left the NFL Sunday Ticket channels...:D

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    MTV has pretty much sucked since, well, 1985 or so. Irredeemable at this point, best to just let it go. ;)

12. You really should push that up to around 92-94 or so. Until the game shows, real worlds, and Cancun Spring Breaks took precedence over music.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This thread is really funny: "I don't agree with this opinion, ergo it shouldn't be said."

As soon as someone's opinion who you do agree with is being censored I know who'll be the ones crowing for constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of expression will be.

Fake edit: I like MTV.

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm sorry you like MTV, Toasted. That would be one notch down in class and taste in my book :atoz:

15. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I just flipped past the Video awards...not my thing either...but did catch Jessica Simpson on stage with ZZ Top on that other special that was on a different network...and that was worth a couple of laughs...good lord...LOL

BUT, after the Jessica debacle...ZZ Top did "I wanna Thank You"...which is a cool old tune...

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's good music to clean my house to. Argh, there goes another point.

17. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Actually car wrecks can be quite entertaining at times. It really depends on whether there are injuries or (preferably) not. Also depends on if it's in racing or on purpose, everyone watches NASCAR for the wrecks.

18. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    +1. it's one thing not to listen/watch or to disagree. it's another thing to say that no one should ever do it EVER.

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I wasn't even referring to the political aspect in my post. It's been a part of rock and roll "fashion" to utter some bold political statement now for like 40 years. It goes great with the clothes, lights, image and dramatic camera angles.
    I was simply referring to the fact that I personally felt that it sucked. Others may feel differently and I respect their right to.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just wish MTV would change their name...

Music Television no longer.

CTV. RCTV. RRCTV.

(crappy, really crappy, and really really crappy TV)