1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[Rant] Posting oversized pics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Deacon_Blues, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Hi all,

Sorry for ranting, but it's a #€LL to read threads into which someone has posted a huge image twice the size of the screen. Please resize them before posting. My screen is set to 1280x1024 pixels, and I doubt most of you has it set much higher than that. Well, at work I use 1600x1200, but most of those large pics are too large for that setting too.

You get a better view of the pic also if you see the whole of it at the same time without the need to scroll to the right. So there's actually only advantages by resizing them.

[/Rant]

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. I agree. It's like driving in two lanes at the same time, going 10 mph slower than the speed of traffic, and while talking on your cell phone and sipping on your coffee in your fat yellow hummer. It's just tacky.

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    +800x600

I think it would be best if the forum software handled scaling somehow. A lot of people don't really know how to resize big pics from their digital camera.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Who made you a mod? Did I miss some anouncement?

5. Must resist temptation to post huge pic......

whew, I resisted.....

6. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    To quote Ringo Starr when asked if he was a Mod or a Rocker: "I'm a mocker".

In all honesty, I don't think the forum rules put restrictions on complaining about large pics.

7. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yeah, I find it pretty annoying too. Someone posted a picture yesterday that was about 2100x1500. I couldn't even fit the subject of the picture into my browser at once and my screen res is 1920x1200.

8. I run dual monitors and big pics just span across both. It's somewhat annoying but cool at the same time. :confused:

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Someone tell me how to resize pictures

[​IMG]

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It doesn't bother me.

11. Get a widescreen monitor.

It makes this dreaded problem not nearly as bad.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Man, thats a biiiiiig handgun!

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    We better send in Robin Hood with his balloon sword.

[​IMG]

14. Geoff St. Germaine

[​IMG]

15. I can see that picture just fine.

:ninja:

I know some people use their tv's to browse TB, so maybe if someone has a 60" widescreen they'd be fine.

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I knew some people would dislike this suggestion of mine. I don't pretend I'm a mod or something as Toasted probably believes, but those big picture sure gets annoying, especially in threads where you don't expect those. In the post your ______ threads, I don't mind them that much as reducing the size also reduces the amount of detail in the picture. I just wish some common sense was used...

It'd be great if the large pictures were reduced to the screen size automatically as someone above suggested. I'd just add that if you could click on them to see the full versions, it would be even better.

17. Geoff St. Germaine

Really? That picture is 5800 pixels wide. By fine do you mean you can see the whole image at once? The physical size of the screen makes no difference, only the resolution does. 60" TVs typically won't show more pixels than a widescreen monitor (1080p TVs would be the same pixel width as my screen, but not as much height (1200 vs 1080)).

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Most people do it (post large pics) to stop a thread dead in it's tracks. It's thier way of sticking their fingers in their ears while chanting, "I'm not listening! I'm not listening!"

:D

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    [​IMG]

20. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    This thread nearly crashed my crappy work computer :crying: :rollno: :D