Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray Got a New Toy

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Apr 14, 2004.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's a new speaker cabinet. I haven't had it out on a gig yet, but have heard one guy
    using it and it kicked fanny.

Plugged all of my toys together in the kitchen and couldn't tell that it was on. Well, my neighbors prolly could, but the sound was breath-taking. This may actually sound a lot better than my Bag End 15".

Nope. Not going to say what it is, at least for a bit.

2. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Maybe is the portabass cab you suggested me a while ago? ;)

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Aw, shucks! You guessed it!

I'll keep you up to date on this thing. I have three or four place to use it this weekend, so I should have an update by Tuesday.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The best amplification setup that I've ever had is what I have now, I believe.

Realist pickup through a Monster cable into a Walter Woods Hi-Power amp, finally through the Ampeg PB 112 H, sitting on the floor, tilted up a bit by my Gaines wheel.

It really sounds like my freakin' bass! It still has feedback issues at higher volumes, but for your average trio - through - big band gig, it should do just fine.

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You'd rather use the Realist than the AMT?

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The AMT is fine when you have a big PA and all, but for amplifying through an amp for moderate to higher volumes in small NYC clubs, or anywhere you have high stage volume, it just doesn't work.

The AMT I use in festival situtations and really small gigs where the singer has a PA system. Next time I have to send it in they're going to put both low and high pass filter in it for me so that maybe it'll work better through the amplifier.

7. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    [
    I have the PB 112, but I use the spring loaded handle on the bottom for the tilting action. Very convenient. I like the cab so much I'd recommend it based soley on the detachable cart, let alone the great sound and weight savings.

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I haven't found a situation yet where I couldn't use the AMT and I've used in a lot of different situations and venues. Of course if I crank up my amp enough I can get feedback but I've never ever actually to crank it to that level.

That's interesting. I know Marty told me that Patitucci wanted the cut-off changed on his low-pass filter. I think he got it raised from 2K to 2500 Hz or something like that.

I saw one of those new Walter Woods - very nice indeed.

As for the Realist, I still can't get over the idea of having something underneath the bridge foot, and every bass I've played with a Realist has sounded less than stellar to me.

However it clearly works for you. Congratulations.

9. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    When you're playing at higher volumes with the amt, do you have to move away from the speaker in proportion to the volume?

10. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't. Nowadays I have the speaker behind me (and slightly to the left) so that I and the drummer can hear it better. However when it was more off the side or even a little bit in front of me, I've always been close to it so that I can fiddle with the volume if need be.

I've never had a troubles with. Once in a rehearsal room we were in a tight semi-circle and the trumpet player was facing me at a 90 angle and when he played my mic was picking it up but in performance situations it's never been a problem and the horns are often our front anyway. I use the mic for everything from duos in a loud cafe to bands with many horns and loud drummers.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've found with the AMT, as mine is without any filters -- being and older one -- that definition through the amp goes to hell at even moderate volumes as lower freqencies start to 'loop back' through the amp, quickly turning the sound into mush even at moderate volumes. The size of the rooms that I play -- and most of us play -- here in The City don't give you any choices as to how you position yourself in regards to your amplifier.

Like I said, when the day comes that I have the filters installed, I'll give the amp another try with the mic. For now, it just doesn't cut it for me in this application.

12. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I haven't had problems with lo freq feed back. Mostly it's that high freq piercing thing instead of the low whoooom. I'm not sure what filters I've got. I talked to Les at AMT and he just offered me a deal for one, but I never got any specs, and they didn't send much literature or instructions for it.

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's not a feedback, just a 'loopback'. In other words, the louder that I have to get with the mic, the more it re-amplifies the ambient low end where I'm standing. The louder I get, the less definition I have. It's not just a nit-picky thing, either, as I was getting complaints that there was a lot of bottom on the band, but no one could hear a note I was playing....

14. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    McBass, you've likely got the standard low-pass filter which from memory is set at 2 KHz. I don't think the attentuation of the high frequencies is all that much myself.

One thing I should add is that recently since I started using the AMT with the Schertler Pub speaker, I started using an LR Baggs MixPro to allow me to mix in a vocal mic for addressing the audience but also to boost the AMT signal a bit more since it's a little low from the preamp (even with the internal trimpot max'ed up). One of the bonuses is that the MixPro has a phase inversion which is useful for solving some feedback problems. I've had situations where I was just getting a bit of muddy sound but not any obvious screeching feedback and inverting the phase solved it.