1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reasonable? Unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spent, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I purchased a piece of gear off of Reverb on Sunday. Didn’t hear anything from seller until I emailed him on Wednesday; he responded that it will be sent out the next day. Per tracking number, the item was shipped Friday and will be here Monday. I’m unhappy because, working Monday through Friday, my expectation was I’d have it at least by Friday so I could play with it over the weekend (I’m a few hours drive from seller, so USPS would get it to me in two days). On top of that, it’s replacing a critical piece of recording gear that recently died on me and I cannot do without it, so no recording this weekend. Not sure if this matters, but the shipping charge was twice the actual cost of shipping, but I was happy with the total price anyway. I considered emailing him to let him know that I’m going to mention this in my feedback and see what he says. He’s a relatively new seller so this will lower his overall rating. Obviously nothing will change the fact that I’m getting it more than a week after I bought it (thanks amazon for distorting my expectations) but I’m still unhappy about it. Am I being reasonable or unreasonable about the shipping?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As you said, it's a new seller. So it took a few more days than you had hoped. Do you want to kill his rating over this??? Nothing wrong with dropping him an email about the shipping charge, and can mention you were disappointed about the delay as well.

3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Unless you specifically arranged a shipping method that would have got it to you in under a week you should just wait and be grateful that it's on its way.
    The seller isn't a corporation with a shipping department so don't treat them like one.

Templar, gln1955, slugger and 19 others like this.
  4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Sorry you're disappointed, but if I needed something quickly and the seller is two hours away, I'd have made the drive.

Seller also probably works M-F as well and didn't have time to deal with shipping before he did.

I wouldn't bash him in a review. I might let him know I was tempted to do so and that he should try to be more prompt in the future, but unless you specifically arranged for a receive date, you really can't go after the seller.

5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yea, I wouldn't leave that in the feedback unless you had communicated it prior to making the purchase that you need it for a certain date, as not everybody's idea of a reasonable handling and shipping time is the same.

I might inquire about the high shipping cost directly, but it is what you already agreed too

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think it’s reasonable to be disappointed, but unreasonable to ding his feedback unless he failed to meet a predetermined shipping deadline.

Flooflox, slugger, yodedude2 and 13 others like this.
  7. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    This...

slugger, Spent and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I’d be a bit cranky too if, after three days of silence, I had to contact the guy for an update only for him to tell me there’d be another 24 hours of delay.

Yeah, I get it, life gets in the way but it takes only seconds to communicate promptly!

Plectrum72, slugger, dBChad and 5 others like this.
  9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^All of this.

After he's pondered your response, then he can decide whether or not to improve as a seller or be a jerk about it.

Spent and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned SUSPENDED

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    That covers it pretty succinctly. We've all gotten spoiled :D

I wouldn't be to happy about the delay in communication, though. Sounds like a good opportunity for the seller to learn about customer service. I don't know that I'd call him/her out publicly...newbies eventually become salty dogs.

11. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    3 days without communication, and the only update you got was after you had to email them first... I feel like that's worthy of disappointment. As an online seller, I would never go 3 days without saying anything to the buyer, especially after I've taken their money. I would let them know that that is generally unacceptable, at least if you want to be a good seller. Idk about leaving negative feedback for them tho

12. If it was a more established seller, I’d have no issue leaving negative feedback. For a new shop, I’d cut some slack. Sending him the feedback privately is a great idea, though. It could really help him, and his future buyers.

13. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    You're being a jerk. Lighten up.

DrMole, Ghook, Keyser Soze and 5 others like this.
  14. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    How?

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    To me that's unacceptable. However, I still wouldn't leave bad feedback. If I needed something by a certain date I wouldn't "assume" that it would get to me, I'd contact the seller and let them know. Actually shipping cost is irrelevant as you agreed to the shipping cost prior to buying.

Mike Whitfield, Chrisk-K and Spent like this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Every one had to get through out this.

17. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium
    I bet you could find your critical piece of recording gear, for a more expensive price from a more experienced seller...

Flooflox and Ghook like this.
  18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    So his shipping charge is more than the quote from the courier? Imagine that.

Does that mean that the box, packing materials, the time to put it together and the gas to get it to the terminal don’t just appear from nowhere?

Flooflox, DrMole, wncBass and 7 others like this.
  19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    If you need a bass in two days, buy from a seller that offers guaranteed two day shipping and pay for expedited shipping.

20. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, I’ve bought and sold a lot over the years. Notice the part where I was cool with it.