1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reccomend a Ben Allison album

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Ben Rolston, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Hey all,

I really like what I've heard of Allison's work so far, so I decided I want to pick up an album. Suggestions?

I'm leaning towards Peace Pipe, but not particularly strongly.

Peace,

Ben

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Seven Arrows is nice (pretty early, but I think it's still available. Check his website). The newer stuff is nice too, but I haven't heard the last two. There's a couple of sextet records that feature Tomas Ulrich on cello, I heard that band live a number of times and it was always happening.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I like everything he's done and all for different reasons. I'm really diggin the new one right now.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Nice player and even better writer.

I've got several of his solo records. I like Medicine Wheel best. I transcribed a chart for "Spy" for one of the combos at my kid's high school . . . it turned out to be many pages long. There is a lot of detail in that writing which might escape the casual listener.

5. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Thanks so far.

Sam, yeah from what I've heard so far I completely agree.

6. You can hear pieces from all the albums on his website.

7. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I like all of Ben Allison's releases. Medicine wheel was the first one I got, and that opened the floodgates. I don't know exactly why, but Buzz seems to be my "go to" Allison right now.

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Cowboy Justice is my 'go to' right now. The groove on 'Emergency' is sick.

9. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    killin. I love the section before Steve Cardenas starts blowin where its just the groove happenin . . . what a head bobber.

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    That's the section.

...and the heavy bit at the end

Never thought I'd see folks in the Green Mill head-banging but Ben did it

11. arcellus

arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I second the remark that all of his records are great. "Nuclear Tiger" and "Buzz" are probably my two favorites.

Also check out his work with Michael Blake - "Elevated" is fantastic.

12. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    +1 for "Riding the Nuclear Tiger". great music.

13. gus01

gus01

Mar 21, 2008
    gulf coast
    peace pipe:D

14. DownLow

DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    I like all of Ben Allison's releases, but I'm really into his latest two. I like what Steve Cardenas' guitar brings to the mix.

I just finished spinning Little Things Run the World and can't get Respiration out of my head. that funky section about 2 and a half minutes in....

Great stuff.

15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I own Buzz and Cowboy Justice. They're Both good albums but I find Buzz to be one of my favourites. definitely check that album out.