Recommedation on Fender Mustang Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sanyi, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Sanyi

Nov 5, 2005

I am currently playing a 1976 Fender Mustang Bass. The strings have never been changed, and now, I am looking to change them. I would like to keep as close to the same strings as I have now on there. It is a short scale (30') bass, and the gauges are .04, .06, .075, and .095. These are the gauges that are given on the Fender website for the reissue of the Mustang bass, and I believe they are correct. I would like to know what type of strings I should buy for my bass. Thanks.
  2. Flatwounds.

Unfortunately, I don't think Fender make short-scale flatwounds (did they ever?).
    The reissue Mustang comes with the stock Fender roundwounds. IMO, they don't suit the mustang vibe at all, being very metallic sounding. Personally, I like Pyramid flatwounds, although I haven't tried them on a Mustang.
  3. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
  4. basserina

Feb 3, 2005
    After reading a bunch of these posts about stringing the mustang, I've narrowed the choice for new strings to these three:

I haven't tried any other strings than the fender short scales, so I'd like to hear comments about these. I'm (obviously) looking for a deeper tone... The La Bella's would have the best tone(?), but is the gauge too much? Rotosounds have a lighter gauge than the fender short's (.40-.95), so will the D'Addario's have a better tone? I'm guessing these strings fit the mustang being medium scale sets. Will these set's be floppier than the fender set? I play mainly rock/pop and I don't slap at all, so recommend something, please? :)
  5. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
  6. jrock

Feb 15, 2006
    I found these to be good strings for the Mustang. They fall somewhere between a roundwound and a flat, leaning toward a roundwound sound a little more without being too bright. Make sure you get them in medium scale(string through body).
  7. Houndog

Sep 20, 2006
    good thread and just what I am looking for.
    I have a mid 70's Mustang which I bought about 15 years ago...and just started playing bass in a West Coast/Chicago band ..think "Hoy Hoy" .

Don't use picks and strings haven't been changed for 15 years which is fine as it sat around unplayed but I am loosing any tone/vol on the G .

I have tried altering pup height but I suspect that string guage could help.

Any thoughts ?

8. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
  9. Houndog

Sep 20, 2006
    as I am new to the bass strings, are these still good for the Mustang s/scale.

Also if I read the sizes right , that bass G is in the same size zone as the accoustic bottom E I use...a progression indeed ;)

10. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I used the Fender 5250's on mine. Worked out great. And easy on the thin neck -vs- .105+ E strings
  11. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Aug 20, 2010
    If I remember correctly, the original Mustang has flatwound strings. Does anyone have an idea of what stings made today come the closest to the originals?

I don't know how authentic these sound, but La Bella has a 760F-Mus, flatwound stainless steel, 043w 060w 082w 104w, Mustang scale length of ~30"