1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend a 4 ohm 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drden, Mar 31, 2009.

1. drden

drden

Nov 11, 2008
    Troy, NY
    I have a peavey 115 combo which gets decent tone because I saved it with a sansamp. but anyway, with the amps tone aside I wanted to get a 4 ohm extensin cab for it because the 4 ohms will drop it to a 2 ohm load, allowing the full 300 watts to be used. also more speaker surface=more volume, as we all well know.

so pretty much what I'm getting at is could use some recommendations of a 4 ohm cab that I could pick up pretty cheap. used if it means cheaper.

I would use an 8 ohm cab like a goldline or hartke but I'd rather not see smoke from the thing. I don't know if that would give me smoke. here's the link and you guys tell me if I'll get smoke.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Combo-115-Bass-Combo?sku=481380

well I borrowed an 8 ohm cab for a gig once and that didnt give me smoke...that was only one gig though so i don't know

penny for your thoughts
    actually no pennies...

2. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    If you use an 8Ω cab you'll end up with an overall load of 2.667Ω which is fine since your amp can handle a 2Ω load.

I can't think of any 4 ohm cabs though.

3. MarcusPocus

MarcusPocus

Aug 28, 2008
    Allen, Tx

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The 300 watts from your combo split between 2 cabs = 150 watts per cab. A 410 cab w/150 watts = 37.5 watts per speaker.

Unless you're planning an upgrade to a much more powerfull seperate head in the near future, you might want to just get a 4 ohm single driver 12" or 15" cab like this:
    http://www.musicgoround.com/product.aspx?id=675221 The price is right and the power distribution won't be nearly as wonky. Just my opinion though, if you want a 410, by all means, get a 410.

5. Yes. 300 watts isnt enough to drive 5 speakers. Are you sure that 15 isnt 8 ohm to begin with??

6. drden

drden

Nov 11, 2008
    Troy, NY
    you cant get to the page from the link I set up. sorry. but it says that adding a 4 ohm extension drops the load to 2 ohms so yeah the internal speaker is 4 ohms.

I get what "jaco who?" is talking about but when I played with an 8 ohm 410 extension it gave me a decent amount of extra volume so I thought I should get a 4 ohm cause I'll get the extra speakers and another 100 watts.

I don't have a whole lot of money so I'm trying to work with what I can afford. I probably won't be upgrading for a year or 2, but I'm looking for a cab I can buy and use now and just run a more powerful head through it when I get the money.

thanks for the help guys I think I'm going to look into avatars...
    I'll probably post a thread about them soon...
    any other suggestions?

7. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA

8. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    sorry man, but that is incorrect. generally speaking, more speakers = more efficiency = louder at a given amount of power input. even if it is 2 watts. i have driven two 4x12 cabinets with a fender champ (+/- 4-5 watts on a good day). and it was loud and awesome. but i digress.

werent there some fairly recent ampeg 4x10's that were 4 ohms? cant remember the models, but i think one was like a 410HE but with "vintage" cloth, and another was more of a modern deal with plastic corners and steel mesh grill....

also avatar..... but they mount the speakers with drywall screws. lots of happy users, though, so it must work out ok!

edit: 1 of the ampeg cabs was the BXT. NLA, but the used market is where its at (no matter what you end up with, most probably--- let someone else eat the depreciation).
    BXT410HL-8554d488589faa9880b6915f2f3eecf2.

9. drden

drden

Nov 11, 2008
    Troy, NY
    yeah I'm basically set on what type of cabinet i want (a 4 ohm 410) but I'm just asking around for different models. I'll probably post about avatar cabinets soon enough....

eh what the heck. while I'm on the topic....:smug:

who knows anything about avatar cabinets?:help:

10. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    The older SWR Goliath cabs were 4 ohms.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +3

Avatar B410 Neodymium, 4 or 8 ohms, 1,000 RMS, 65 lbs., $439 USD + $48 USD shipping.

12. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
  13. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    i agree with ephminus ampeg 410 hlf (not the 410HE <- dont get this cab 1. 8ohms 2. i have had 2 with a weird buzz)

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    My Eden D410XLT is 4 ohms (and a freaking excellent cab)...but you might want to look into Avatar. Great bang for the buck.

Good Luck!

:D

Joe.

15. microknee

microknee

Aug 28, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Another vote for Ampeg 410HLF... I've had mine for 3 years, hundreds of shows, dragged it across the country several times, and it's never let me down.

16. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Count me in on the 410HLF :) Mine sounds great. Just used it at practice today with a brand new GK 1001RB-II that I just got.

The 410HLF is a great cab with tons of bottom 4 OHM and ready to rock. I have a new Avatar B410 NEO 4 OHM on order and due to ship from them on Tuesday. Can't wait to a/b it with the HLF using the new GK and my Genz Benz GBE1200.

Keep Low :bassist:

17. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    On tight budget, CL is your friend.

And if you are looking for the biggest increase in SPL without upgrading the power, AMPEG is not where you want to look. Avatar gets my vote as best bang for buck.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I suggest getting a 2x10 and stack in vertically. 3 speakers for 300 watts will be fine. Will give you just enough to balance out the 1x15.

19. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    Aguilar GS410 or DB410 if you want more midrange punch. Both are offered in 4ohm.