1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me some classical guitar pieces!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I'm looking to be introduced to a lot of new pieces and performers for the classical guitar. I'm taking lessons at school here and am interested in it, considering doing a minor but I really just haven't heard a lot. If you guys could recommend some beginning/mid level pieces thatd be great. Please post clips!

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    When I was studying guitar for a jazz guitarist, I played a song (jazz standard?) called "Lament", a nice slow jazz ballad. I just don't remember who wrote the song.

When he introduced the song to me, he said this was a song I could play on an acoustic guitar on the beach a summer night and most likely I would get some nice company... :) Unfortunately I have forgotten it, but perhaps you could learn another jazz ballad. They're slow and generally slow songs don't require monster technique either, just some chord knowledge. :)

EDIT: Found it on youtube:
    It's played on an electric though, and less simply than how I played it back then, 14 years ago.. ;)

4. sweet, thanks guys. Doesnt have to be fancy, or girl-catching, just interesting melodically.
    Any more?

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Dude I saw some kid on YouTube doing a Jaco tune on classical guitar and it was killer. As much as I don't like Jaco, Jaco on classical guitar is alright.

I think it was Portrait of Tracy.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Try "Classical Gas", I'll bet you can find it on YouTube.

7. I've heard that one, cool intro but the rest was meh, if I remember correctly. I'll look it up again tho

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
  9. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    I've been re-devoting myself to classical for the last three years and there are quite a few in my regular rotation that would be great for you.

One of the best places to start is by going to Eythorsson's site (linked below) and also Delcamp (get the first three or four volumes). Delcamp's are compiled according to difficulty. Some of the pieces that have been recommended and some that I am about to recommend are not in any of the Delcamp volumes nor the popular Eythorsson compilation either but those can be found without too much difficulty at the other links provided. In addition to the baroque and classical pieces, I'll also mention some of my favorite relatively easy Brazilian pieces.

Heitor Villa-Lobos: Choros

Attila Zollier: The Birds and the Bees
    Guimaraes (Pernambuco): Sons de Carrillhões
    Lauro: Vals 3 (Natalia)
    Jorge Morel: Danza Brasileira