1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend me the best (tube) rig for under $1000...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imasnucka, Nov 22, 2010.

1. imasnucka

imasnucka

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago
    On a budget. Looking to upgrade. Is it possible to put together a tube-powered rig for 1000 dollars or less? and if so, is it worth it?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Do you need the amp and cab?

If just the amp you could pick up a used SVT-II for $900 - 1000.

If you need both, then you could get an Ampeg V4 or V4B for around $500 or so and then get a cab with the rest.

You could also get a used PV VB-2 b/w $500 - $650.

For cabs, I like something without a tweeter and currently I'm really enjoying the Bag End 15's with tube amps. :) You can get one of those used for about $250-300 and a pair will absolutely sound killer.

3. This.

4. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Traynor makes a tube amp that is usually about $500-$600 used or B-stock. You could consider that. The Ampeg mentioned would also be pretty tight if you end up finding one. I'd probably go for the Ampeg over the Traynor but it does seem like a lot of people like the Traynor, especially at that price.

A used cab shouldn't be too hard to find on the Chicago Craigslist pages, if you are comfortable with that. It seems like a lot of people prefer sealed cabs with tube amps but it's up to you to decide. Heck, an Ampeg 810 could probably be found for about $450-$500 if you are patient.

5. imasnucka

imasnucka

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

With the ampeg v4's.. aside from price, is this a good amp?

I am more or less looking for just the amp. I have some cabinetry to work with, so the amp is the priority.. A better cabinet can come later.

6. imasnucka

imasnucka

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago
    I know ampeg makes quality business. But I have barely played gigged out of one, (only rarely when it was used as a backline..) and what I'm worried about is the tone being put into 'ampeg mode".

I dk if that makes any sense. What I'm trying to get at is that as someone who has limited experience with different amps, and knows that ampeg supposedly has a distinct 'tone' to them, is that limiting to what I can potentially sound like? or is that equally as dependant as the bass/cabinet(s) that I use?

I'm trying to start again from the ground up.. without any gear.. It's hard.

In that case, if it helps any, I'm looking into a fender aerodyne jazz bass. so i'm looking for that round, fatness of a p-bass, with a jazz punch and kick. I need some tube warmth. Help me.

7. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    If you want to build a tube rig for under $1k, you're less likely to be picky about tone.

And a million guys have played Ampeg, and all sounded different. There shouldn't be anything to worry about with a V4B/810.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The best new tube heads that I am aware of in that price range are going to be either the Peavey VB-2 or Traynor YBA-200.

That being said, the V-4B is an awesome amp, and a nice used V-4B with a decent cab would be my vote. I picked up a very nice '75 (ish) V-4B and a B-40 (4x10) for $700. :cool:

9. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I like the v4BH better than the V4B. Only because of the shorter size of the chasis. I feel it both looks better and sits on top of cabs easier. IMO

10. imasnucka

imasnucka

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago
    anyone have thoughts on the markbass little mark tube amp?

I really like their stuff..

11. imasnucka

imasnucka

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago
    what do you mean i am less likely to be picky about tone? you mean after I play one i won't be as picky...?

but that's what I wanted to hear about ampeg.

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I mean that your options are limited under $1k, so you can't afford to be picky... you'll pretty much take what you can get.

I'm not a huge fan of the Markbass stuff (it's a little "bland" for me) but I definitely like pretty much every other head in their line better than the LMTube, haha!

13. The prices on V4-bs keeps getting higher and higher, might want to go V4.

14. I love my Mesa 400+ and I bought it for less than a 1000.

15. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    He needs amp and cab. Barring some ridiculous Craigslist find, it's gonna be tough.

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That's about what I paid for my V4 and B40 as well.

Thing to remember with any vintage amp (like a V4) or really any used amp is that they made need some maintenance to get them up to spec. With an amp that is 25+ years old, you may need to consider a cap job, might need new power tubes, etc, so certainly something to keep in mind when you buy.

For a V4/V4B a cap job will probably run about $100-150 but will put the amp in good shape to last and be reliable. The good news is that tube amps tend to be pretty workable, so if you get one, have it looked over by a tech, and then sit back and enjoy the tone.

17. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    +1 for the Traynor YBA200. Loving mine so far.

18. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Great amp- the sound of 90's rock bsss, really. I just saw one on Craigslist for $350. That's an amazing price for such a classic sounding amp with a great EQ.

19. +1

I like the SVT-II (pro or not) better than the SVT-CL, Sunn/Fender 300t, or Mesa 400+.

20. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL

+11111