1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend some Jazz.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Aug 16, 2012.

1. I'm looking for some new music. I've been playing along with various recordings of some standards for a jazz combo I'm in. I've discovered that my favorite group setting is a quartet with most of the focus on the key players. I've been getting into monk a lot and I love his compositions and they way he always keeps the melody in mind when soloing.

I like jazz that's that has really strong melodies that dominate the songs and are more about the composition. Not really into the 7 minute chops sessions. I was hoping to get some recommendations of some artist, new and old, or some albums like this that you guys love. I play with a big horn section so these guys are always making me check out horn players. But I'm really more drawn towards the key players. I just don't know of many of the "greats" or the really popular guys. Thanks for any help!

2. Should probably clarify. Sorry!! Key, bass, drums, and horn. Or just a key trio with bass and drums. Thanks!

3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Anything by Monty Alexander. He covers a lot of ground and I love the way he often incorporates calypso, reggae and soul influences.

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Bill Evans Trio "Sunday At The Village Vanguard" is a piano/bass/drum trio disc that every bass player should listen to like a million times.

For a more modern take on this format, check out Avishai Cohen's "Gently Disturbed".

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Nice. Calm and rich - but deliciously textured. An airy mix that just sizzles ;)

8. lidesnowi

lidesnowi

Jan 29, 2011

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Horn-centered: Check John Zorn / Masada.
    For old classics, Bird & Diz made some great music together.

10. Christian Mcbride.

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Ahmad Jamal Trio, straight-ahead Herbie Hancock (but the electric stuff is good too).

12. john_murchison

john_murchison

Dec 1, 2010
    Ahmad Jamal trio late 50s with Israel Crosby and Vernel Fournier

13. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Check out "Money Jungle" with Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach. It's raw, rough and humorous in a way. One of my favorite jazz albums.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  15. superchefmrt

superchefmrt

Aug 18, 2012
    I 100% agree on the Bill Evans suggestion, I'll have to check out the Avishai Cohen one...

16. Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    Diana Krall's Live In Paris. Amazing stuff. The DVD has an extra track that starts just bass and vocal and builds with the other instruments. Great walking bass on there.

17. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Mingus Mingus Mingus!

Specifically, the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and, if you can find it, Live at Antibes.

Brilliant.