1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendation - 'Studio' String pop/funk/jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by johnfowles, Sep 10, 2008.

1. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    Hi,
    I'm after some opinions and recommendations for a new set of strings for my Overwater Bass. It's a 6 string so this is a consideration too.

The set I have at the moment don't last long enough (they are a string that Overwater use). I'm looking for a very neutral sounding string. Quite tight. It's a 35" scale length bass.

I do a fair but of studio work involving generic sounding pop and the rest is funk and jazz in performance.

I don't do any slapping on this instrument.

Any help would be great!
    Cheers,

John

2. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    Just thought i'd update you all as I had no replies.

It seemed that DR has a great rep, so I went with them. I go some hi-beams.

Great strings. Just what I was looking for. I've got a week of studio work ahead, so hopefully they'll sit in just perfect.

I'm still amazed at the harmonics produced with these strings!

Very crisp, tight sound. Not TOO bright. But still defined. They feel great too.

JF!

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That's a great choice. A 35" six string narrows down your choices a bit, doesn't it?

The Hi Beams age beautifully. I am a fan of the nickel version, called Sunbeams (you would have to buy a 5 string set and a single C string) are also fine. Warmer and more vintage sounding than the Hi Beams.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I know John 5 plays D'addario strings on every Marilyn Manson record he was on. I know its guitar and not bass, but its close enough, D'addario are great!

Duff from Velvet Revolver has used Rotosound strings for years and years. Im not a fan, but then, he is in Velvet Revolver and im not.

Byron Stroud (and I think Jeordie White) use GHS Bass Boomers, which I love. John 5 has also now switched to GHS Boomers (guitar).

In short any of the popular makes will do the job, just chose a tone you like the best. You will probably find that a really good setup will do more for your sound than switching between Ernie Ball and Rotosound.

5. jbassp

jbassp

Sep 14, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I use GHS Bass Boomers and they are just fantastic. I can't play with any other strings now because they are that great. But to each his own.