1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recordings of jazz standards

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mixmastermike, Mar 30, 2013.

1. mixmastermike

mixmastermike

Jan 6, 2010
    Is anybody aware of a collection of jazz standards, instead of buying a bunch of albums?

2. Minus

Minus

May 22, 2011
    I buy mine from Amazon at 99cents each. Works out really well.

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Since no version is "the" version I suggest to buy a Real Book and some software like Band In A Box.

Everyone and their mother play them differently so whatever ... the real book is the only thing you really need and even then, you will most likely right some change because the band leader want a different chords at some places.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'd suggest buying the records and putting the compilation together yourself. And getting as many versions of particular composition as you can, precisely so you can hear how different folks approach the same melody...

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This is a problem I've been facing myself... Want to break into jazz but I have a hard time putting together a sort of study repertoire. I have a realbook lying around but without some aid in form of a record I just see a bunch of chords that I hamfistedly try to string together. That each standard has been played ad nauseam doesn't help in tracking down a somewhat vanilla version, asking myself, what version do pick?

Maybe I'm giving this too much thought though. Just pick a tune from the realbook, find a record and here's the ball now run with it?

6. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    there is no 'vanilla' version and that's the point

if you're not excited by infinite variation and the awesomeness of that maybe you're not a candidate for 'jazz' (sic improvised music)

one the other hand - most jazz standards (as we call them now) were the pop tunes of their time (20s, 30s, 40s, 50s even 60s) - so, you can go back and find versions that were very staid and simple by the vocalists of the day

7. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    It's easier than ever nowadays to "break into jazz" from a study resource perspective. I suggest you purchase some Jamey Aebrsold play along sets (there are about 130 or so now), perhaps focusing on some of the "standards" sets he has assembled. Good luck!

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I know, and I really like the impro aspect but I find it kind of unfortunate for someone like me who likes to learn stuff bottom-up. In a way like the Hegelian ideal of science, from the abstract to the concrete (aka from the simple to the complex with all its neverending varieties and exceptions). Lol, weird thing to say I guess.

Good point! Maybe I'll try that.

I'll also look at the Aebersold tapes, thanks Isabina; I actually have some lying around...

Also, what's with all the scare quotes, do I talk funny? :bag:

9. mixmastermike

mixmastermike

Jan 6, 2010
    I have thought a lot about picking up band in a box but there are lots of versions to choose from and I get a little nervous about pulling the financial trigger.
    Anybody have album/artist
    suggestions to begin my collection?

10. You might want to check out vocalist's albums - a lot of the classic jazz singers recorded arrangements of tunes that are pretty true to the "standard" versions played at jazz gigs.

Definitely check out some Nat King Cole, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald (especially her duet albums with Louis Armstrong), Chet Baker, Billie Holiday, Sinatra, etc...

I think there's a few threads in the Jazz Technique section that cover "essential tunes" for beginner jazz players. You may want to check those out.

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  12. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
  13. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Nowadays whenever I run across a song I don't know in the standards world, the solution is YouTube. It seems like you can always find a decent version or two there. That and iRealbook and my stack of old paper real books now on PDF serve me well

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Spotify...the Real Book will even tell you which recording was used sometimes.

15. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Having played rock for 12 years, I bought a double bass in 1992 and changed paths. I picked up about five Sinatra CDs and a book of chord changes for piano w/ vocals. It was here that I discovered the difference between "Broadway" changes and jazz changes. A Dmin6 is really a BMin7 (b5) functioning as the ii chord in a ii V(b9) to a minor chord.

Once I had "I've Got you Under My Skin," "A Foggy Day," etc. under my belt, I got into Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, and the rest of the Blue Note, Contemporary, Impulse!, etc. catalogue. Several real books and a great deal of woodshedding ensued.

Use youtube.

16. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    Excellent points here ;)

17. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    +1
    This is the advice you should follow.

Check out the LearnJazzStandards.com

18. I would agree that starting with a vanilla version is a good way to go. You need to be able to hear what's going on, without too much tricky stuff happening that doesn't make sense to you right now.

Jamie Abersold has zillions of playalongs that are pretty vanilla and very serviceable to use to learn tunes. Also YouTube has a bunch of playalong jazz tunes. I'd start by just copying the bassline as played, note for note, if possible. This will help you internalize the changes and chord movement. Once you get that tune down, find another version of the same song and copy that bass players way of approaching the tune. Pick a version where you can clearly hear what's happening. As an aside, I think any bassline played by Sam Jones is a model of bassline clarity and efficiency.

As time goes on, you will find your own way of handling the changes. Try to mix and match different stuff that you get from different versions. You will make it your own in time. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Everyone learns jazz by copying someone else first. It's an art that you pick up by doing it. The thing that will help your musicianship most of all is to find some people to play with. Being forced to learn the songs and playing in a live setting will give you a lot of motivation.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    keith jarrett recorded many on his 'standards 'albums and on 'the melody at night with you'.

20. mixmastermike

mixmastermike

Jan 6, 2010
    Having people to play with is the tough part where I live. I'm sure it is for a lot of us, with that said is the band in a box program a passable substitute for live situations?