REDDI, I'm a bit confused

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by primusfan1989, Jan 29, 2016.

1. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    I better put on a helmet and bullet proof vest because I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flack for this.

So the question is what is the big deal with these? From my understanding this unit is a tube buffered DI with an above average transformer? Is that all this thing is? It just seems that $745 for an DI box seems a bit excessive doesn't it? Ive used them before, they are definitely an improvement from a generic DI tone but it just seems like they are getting away with murder charging what they do for what it is? If you part is out its less than $300 in parts and doesn't seem all that labor intensive? Am i the only one who doesn't get it ?

2. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    Well, you can just not buy it.

3. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Wasn't planning on it, more just trying to start a discussion on what a REDDI really is and is it worth whats charged for it but thank you for your input

4. Yes...$300 in parts. Plus the cost of labour, plus the cost of the building they are made in, plus the cost of the property tax, plus the cost of maintenance of said building, plus the cost of utilities (water, electricity, heating) plus the cost of shipping the parts involved, plus the cost of employee benefits, plus the cost of...

Mushroo, StayLow, DirtyDuke and 23 others like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

The parts of my Roscoe bass probably aren't more than a few hundred dollars, yet I paid substantially more. The end product is worth more than the sum of its parts.

Is this the way you approach everything you purchase? Much goes into the true "cost" of goods and services. Ultimately, they are worth whatever another person is willing to pay.

Obviously, people believe that the REDDI is worth it as many people are using them.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Try making your own and let us know how that goes. You can probably do it, but I'll bet you understand the price when the project is over.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Homemade 300$ REDDI or GTFO.

Also, unless you've actually played with one, and heard it, you have no basis for judgement.

8. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    he said in the op that he used one

9. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    This. 50% margin is a pretty standard goal for retail products.

MDBass, Reggie Hamilton and HolmeBass like this.
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Don't make me go back and read it.

CatSquare, MDBass, hsech and 3 others like this.
  11. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I am less troubled by the value added into a REDDI than I am a Whirlwind DI. Who is getting richer off of less thought & effort?

Dudaronamous, petrus61, dome and 4 others like this.
  12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    And bass strings. They're just wire. Have you priced wire lately?

13. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Basses are mainly wood. That's cheap. There are old pallets laying around everywhere.

Daz JP, guitarflinger and bjelkeman like this.
  14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Not sure why everybody is taking the sarcastic ass/thoroughly condescending tack when responding to the OP, surely doesn't seem justified since the question was honest.

Is the REDDI superior to the standard unit? Absolutely. Could/should they charge less for the unit? As a consumer I want to say yes, but many folks seem satisfied paying the cost for the name and rep that comes with owning it. So in that sense, it's priced fairly.

That said, a local builder has made a DI unit which I think far outstrips the REDDI, and he is not asking anywhere near the same price. So, yes surely the parts in this particular unit don't add up to the actual cost, but since they seem to be selling a lot of DIs, I doubt we'll see the price come down any time soon.

15. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe I', missing something. If you in fact have used one as you say, why would you ask "Is that all this thing is?" Did you happen to miss something while doing your comparison? What exactly were you expecting it to do, that it somehow did not meet your expectations?

16. I have one of the DI's you are referencing on order. The REDDI is one of the reasons I went looking in his direction. However, I didn't buy it thinking it was a discount REDDI. It's an Ampeg B15 preamp circuit with a DI. His also doesn't use the same kind of transformer as the REDDI. They are two different beasts; apples and oranges that are only comparable in that they are both able to be used as a DI.

punchclock and blindrabbit like this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Even at $745, you'd be surprised how little profit there is in a product like this.

The retailer takes a cut off the top. Then there is all the unseen costs of running the business, regulatory approval costs, marketing, etc. The parts and manufacturing are a big part of the cost but they take a back seat to other things. You have to sell the product.

Of the parts, every cent is important. The custom red box is very expensive. I suspect that if they had a do over, that part of the design might be carefully reconsidered. The transformers are also a big part of the cost. The output transformer is not easy to design and a lot of effort, no doubt, went into it.

18. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I couldn't resist giving the OP a hard time. Perhaps their experience in playing through one just wasn't remarkable? If that is the case, I can understand the sentiment.

However, I have a manufacturing company that produces a relatively complex and technical product that is superior in craftsmanship and performance to my competitors. Some people are quite willing to pay the higher MSRP for mine. Some people think they can build their own for less money. Truth is, they probably can. However, they don't have the product knowledge, R&D costs, health insurance, plant overhead, and parts inventory bills that I have to foot. They also don't have people getting paid to answer the phone to answer their technical questions when they call. This all adds up in a hurry.

You might be able to build a product that looks similar to what Peter does. It might even work (if you're lucky). But go ahead and try to make a living at it. The costs will skyrocket.

GregC and Reggie Hamilton like this.
  19. ajschnitzelbank

ajschnitzelbank Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Pssh, OP, you bein' a hater. How you start one thread talking about how people need to buy professional gear if they want to sound good, then start another thread hating on the price of professional gear?!

Honestly, I know the OP, and he has a killer ear for tone. So here's a serious answer:
    the REDDI sounds great, is simple, is reliable, and is re-sellable (important if you buy one for a project and plan to sell it when you're done). It's far from the only option, and it ain't cheap, but for some people it's worth the money. Maybe they have other things to do besides shop for gear.

Here's an analogy: Some people find great joy in searching for and buying a cheap car that will outperform a BMW. Other people want a nice ride, and just go buy the bimmer, because they can trust it will perform, and they can sell it when they're done with it.

JaseyT and ExaltBass like this.
  20. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    There's a lot of bass gear that is overpriced. But, we're willing to pay for it. Check out the price of a Noble. They jumped way up in price, like, overnight.

I'll take a P-15 for almost 1/2 the price all day long and twice on Sunday.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021