1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reddi + Sansamp Vt

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by reddi, May 3, 2010.

1. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    Anyone here running their VT pedal into the Reddi for recording? I'm thinking about picking up the VT deluxe when it comes out.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i believe svtb15 has. personally, i'd use anything into the reddi if i thought it got me something i couldn't get with just the reddi. i'm no purist. and i love the vt. but the reddi already sounds ampeggy enough for me, so i probably wouldn't use the vt + reddi for a clean sound.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Personally I would track with just the REDDI, and only if I wanted more dirt when mixing I would re-amp the track through the VT or a real amp.

4. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    I was planning on plugging directly into my Evil Twin DI and taking the through-put out into the VT+Reddi (for the dirt) record them both on separate tracks and blend the two to taste during mixing. I'm curious if the VTs out-put is too hot for the Reddi?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    vt has a volume knob ;) its volume can be attenuated easily with no change in tone.

btw, i think that sounds like some work, but it should have some excellent results if you do it right.

6. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    Sounds good. I've read some post saying that the VT had a extremely hot out-put...guess they were wrong.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's all relative. The output is comparatively "too hot" if what you want is unity with your bypassed signal, but it is not at all hot in respect to the input of the REDDI.

8. basstony2

basstony2

May 6, 2009
    Bushey, Herts UK
    Managing Director, MTR Ltd
    And of course the REDDI has a volume control too.

Tony Reeves
    MTR Ltd, REDDI distributors in UK

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have before...sounds excellent.

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I borrowed Kirk's (SVTB15) last week for a live recording and it sounded fantastic...I didn't use it with a VT Bass though...(I have one but didn't use it for this recording).

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    never knew that...always wondered what that knob was on there for ;) i thought the designer was such a purist he didn't believe in adding anything that wasn't totally necessary. i know people have requested the reddi sound to be passed through to the amp, but he sees no need for it and can't understand why anyone would want that. i would think a volume knob would be right out.

12. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    lol... huh.... post asking a question about the VT Bass... first response?

Jimmy M.

surprise, surprise, surprise.

um... i have nothing helpful to add to this conversation.

-0behn desu0-

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's not a passive-attenuating volume knob, it's a gain knob. Turning the gain up increases the saturation "effect" of the REDDI.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ya, i gathered that, bongo ;) i was just surprised that there was a knob for it on there. never used a reddi personally. if i had more studio work i would get one, though. never ever heard a sound i didn't like out of it.

15. Does anyone know of a DI similar to the REDDI's "ampeggy" tone?

I was thinking of getting a REDDI or somthing similar because the Orange AD200 I just got doesn't have a DI built in and I'm worried about bleed through with a mic recording in a small room and live aswell but not as much.

16. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
  17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I'm guessing there's a part missing from that question: "...without the REDDI's high price". Am I right? :)

There are several options, at various prices, but the reason everybody fusses about the REDDI is because what it does is slightly different from what all the other tube (and tube-like) DI's do--and everybody has a different idea about what tubes or Ampegs are "supposed to sound like", so it's hard to steer somebody toward an alternative. All that said, check out the Groove Tubes Brick. It has a fantastically fat tube tone, and it costs half as much as the REDDI.

If your concern was the form factor, not the price, then the TAB-Funkenwerk V71 is my favorite.

Also, the Sansamp VT can be modded with a DI output, and the new VT Deluxe coming out in a month or so already has a DI output.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    +1 for the vt. pedal of the future.

19. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    The last "real" recording session I did, I brought the REDDI and the VT bass...the engineer asked for just the REDDI, and didn't like how the VT sounded in front...
    The REDDI compared to the SVTDI is no contest...REDDI wins everytime!
    thought I'd share.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it's tough to beat the reddi. the reddi is a mini tube amp in di form. i could definitely see how an engineer would prefer the reddi with nothing on it for clean sounds. but the vt is no slouch imho, and for $150, it's about as close to the reddi as you'll get. it's really hard for an engineer to argue with this tone, which was a jazz bass into a vt: