1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Redirect.viglink. What the heck is this and why ........

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kirk Bryant, Feb 2, 2017.

1. What the heck is redirect.viglink.com every time I click on anything I get this on the way to connecting too the link. It's very annoying and then again when going back to where I came from I sometimes have to click the back button a couple of times to return to where I started.
    I am on an older IPad. I've never had this problem until about a month ago. Now it happens constantly on this site but nowhere else. Why is this? Is there any way to get rid of it?

2. MrMyopia

MrMyopia

Dec 1, 2016
    Little Rock AR
    Go to Settings, tap on Safari, tap Clear History and Website Data. Power cycle.

If that doesn't work, you may need to go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Settings. If that doesn't work you may need to do a backup and Erase all Content and Settings. That will wipe the iPad so make sure it's backed up.

3. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
  4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    mngnt - based on your answer, one could infer that the entire TB site behaves this way for all users. It never happens to me, on an iPad or my Mac laptop. When I click on a link in TB that takes me off the site, I don't see any interim link, other than an occasional flash of a google url, but it never interrupts my route. Is the condition specific to a certain version of ios?

5. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    It's server based, so while it may not happen for all urls, it should happen regardless of device.

6. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Viglink is a bit of javascript that "affiliatizes" outgoing links. So if you click a link on TalkBass that takes you to Amazon and you buy something, we get a few cents commission. We've been running this javascript for several years.

You should not be hung up on redirect.viglink.com at all (it should be lightning fast). And you shouldn't end up at redirect.viglink when you press the back button. I'll get in touch with Viglink support and get this remedied or remove if I have to.

Thanks for letting me know -

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    While this is good advice in some situations, it will not affect anything here. Please don't wipe your ipad :jawdrop:

8. MrMyopia

MrMyopia

Dec 1, 2016
    Little Rock AR
    In defense of my advice, the OP said, "when I click on anything". I did not realize he meant "click on anything within a particular site".

paul likes this.
  9. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Kirk, just checking in to see if this problem still exists? Viglink is still our link affiliate-izer, but it certainly should not be causing hangups or especially not messing up your back button. If it does mess up your back button again, can you make a note of what link you clicked on?