1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remic Question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adam Booker, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    for those of us fortunate enough to have or have had both the green and red Remics, how often, if at all, have you used the red on a gig. I am curious, as mine has been sitting on the shelf for a long time, and I’m GASing for something right now. I’ve been perfectly happy with the green one dang near every gig.

Thanks!

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    As one of the first Remic users who owned both I gotta say I almost never used the Green version. Too much weirdness in tone (on my basses) THe Red however is gorgeous. Even a very little bit mixed into the pickup adds life and body and air. I love the RED but I could not get into the GREEN.

wathaet likes this.
  3. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    I thinkmI need to have a long sit down with the red. I have the exact opposite experience.

Side note, Thorkild has a new “live” version he will be sending to me to test soon. He wasn’t specific about what is different, but how could I refuse?

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Adam,
    Great I hoped they were working on one. I know you’re busy with school but, if you could be so kind enough to do a simple audio comparison of the two that would be amazing and really appreciated. I’ve used the Green a couple of times FOH and it worked fine. I’m sending you a P. M. with a question. I recorded with the Red recently and the engineer loved the mic.

5. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Oh you know I will!

cdavisshannon and All Three like this.
  6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    :) :D :thumbsup:

7. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Adam, I too, own both.. I use the Green now with the Felix blended with the Lifeline. After many months of trial and error,different eq.s in different settings with different strings and basses. I feel this combination is working great.On the other hand I had the Red first, it sounds good but picks up everything as you know well from your great video,so you can only use just a little, and have to use more pick up if you are with drums horns etc. It works great the volume and number of players you are working with. Your mileage may very though.
    Have you tried the Israel mic? Would love to see a comparison to Remic. and curious about the new model Remic is developing..

8. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Say no more, fam!

Slim Pickins, LaFaro01, Earl and 4 others like this.
  9. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Hmm... I used the red once and I had some feedback issues. I need to investigate that again before I give an opinion. But, now, I only use the green.

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dray,
    From what I can gather the Red was designed as a recording session mic that could be used live in low volume live situations, while the Remic Green was designed as a live performance microphone.

Ihrbass if you can find it I did a direct recorded comparison between the Remic Green and the Xlson for what it's worth. It's in the Xlson thread.

DrayMiles likes this.
  11. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Yes... I knew that... ;)

But wow, I didn't know the beast would be that hard to control in a live setting!
    And, in most recording studios, they use their own tried and true methods and gear. Methinks they wouldn't like me asking to use the Remic Red.... Especially with as little experience as I have with it.

Hmm... Also, for me, mounting the Remic in the tailpiece is a lot easier to deal with than behind the neck. I find the foam a somewhat weak engineering thought process. There has to be something better, considering how much I love the bottom end that the mic creates.

12. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The Xlson mic sounds bee-u-ti-full... That thang sounds heavenly to me.

rickwolff likes this.
  13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Dray,
    I got to use the Red in a live recording and it sounded great. The CD I was working on hasn't been released yet,
    so eventually I'll get to post some samples of it. Most engineers have their preferences, so your wise not to shake the tree unless you have a relationship with the person behind the board. :) Interestingly enough, the box for the
    REMIC shows it mounting under the tailpiece. Which is much easier and sounds better. The issue with the foam is dependent on the curve on the backside of tailpiece or under the fingerboard. So every bass is different mine is a real challenge, but I like the sound. Just my take.

DrayMiles likes this.
  14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The issue for me with the Xlson is that neither the H-Clamp or the Gollihur Bass On Stage will mount successfully on my bass. Just my problem though.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    DrayMiles likes this.
  15. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    + 1 For under the Tailpiece. Sounded great on all the Basses I have tried with the Remic mic.

Ric Vice and DrayMiles like this.
  16. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I'm with you... It's my problem too. Just not with that mic...

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Although I suspect that when I see the price of the xlson... I'll probably join Elizabeth. ("I'm coming to join ya honey, with empty pockets!" :( )

Adam Booker likes this.
  18. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I'm surprised that the H-Clamp doesn't work - do you have funky purfling edges or something?

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Not really, my bass is a Mirecourt 5/8th's flat back. No matter where I put the H Clamp relative to the sweet spot or close to the bridge, the clamp rolls off. Even as light as the Xlson is
    the H-Clamp just won't stay on the bass. Both the DPA 4099 mount and the Remic's foam work just fine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Mark Gollihur likes this.
  20. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Ric did you mean that you liked both the DPA and Remic mounts or did you mean that either mount also worked well with the Xlson?