1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

removing tone knob on p-bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Riverboatshabby, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Riverboatshabby

Riverboatshabby

Mar 21, 2009
    title says it all

thanks!

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    You want to remove the knob? You'd have a P bass missing a knob.

You want to remove the TONE POT? Assuming you did it correctly you'd have a bass that sounded just like it did with the tone control turned all the way up, since passive tone control is cut only.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Removing the knob? Get a little allen wrench, loosen the setscrew and it comes right off.

Wait...I bet you mean removing the tone POT, dont you?

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    have fun doing it i guess

5. Riverboatshabby

Riverboatshabby

Mar 21, 2009
    yes, i meant tone pot, sorry

6. themadpiper

themadpiper This is CAKETOWN!!

Jun 25, 2008
    Pascagoula, MS
    It wouldn't be difficult to do and would make your sound a tad brighter than it would with the tone pot wide open.

7. There should be no problems, the tone pot on the Fender P at my college is not there and it plays and sounds like a dream, I wish they would let me buy it...

8. why would you do that?? just turn it all the way either way until you find your spot. BAM! Instant no pot effect.

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    That wouldn't work becuase the pot itself has a resistance.

10. Personally, i wire my basses with push/pull pots that allow me to bypass the tone control when i want to.

A tone pot works by varying the amount of signal that feeds the capacitor. The less resistance on the pot, the more signal the capacitor receives, and thus the more high frequency content it removes.
    Having a pot turned all the way up is not the same as bypassing it. There is still a resistance of 250K or 500K from the signal to the capacitor. By removing the tone control, (obviously...) the capacitor is not getting any amount of signal at all, so your tone is much brighter.

If anyone is interested, here is my diagram of a push/pull bypass switch for a tone control.
    3396717693_cf1e0805dc.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Another approach is to use a:

Potentiometers
    (1) 250K, Solid Shaft, "No-Load" Potentiometer (Volume or Tone)

12. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i dont have a tone pot on my p ordered a custom warmoth guard with 2 holes one for input 1 for volume no hole the specially made it

used a 500k pot for volume

seymour duncan 1/4 pounders

works good for my style

if u like a brigth ass do it

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  14. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Hey guys. Would much re-wiring be needed or could i literally cut the wire that goes to the tone pot? I'd personally like to keep the knob (meaning it'd be easier to keep the pot too) but have it just...not work. I want brigher tone and this sounds like a good solution. :help:

15. Dave Vader

Dave Vader

May 18, 2009
    Devon Uk
    That would work, had mine like that for years, only put it back in last year when i realised I was too old for punk now.

16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It will work. It wont be all that brighter, but a little bit.

Replacing the volume pot with a 500K or 1M will get you ever more brightness.

I have a fender TBX tone control on my one passive bass. That works nicely for a bypassed tone control.

17. So I have a question along this line. I just had a bartolini preamp put in my pbass with a push/pull knob for switch from active to passive and a stacked tone pot. The stacked pot only works in active. My question is: When i'm in passive is my tone like having the stock tone knob all the way forward? Thanks