1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement neck: Pre-EB Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 22 AWG, Nov 18, 2018.

1. 22 AWG

22 AWG Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone in their wisdom knows of a place to get an aftermarket neck that will fit on a 3-bolt, 21-fret pre-Ernie Ball Stingray (1978). I've put about as much work into this bass as possible, and it looks like the truss is maxed out. I'd love to replace it with something to make it as playable as I'd like, vintage factor be darned. Warmoth replacement necks feature an overhanging 21st fret that looks like it would mess up the scale length, so might anyone know of another place that sells a neck that would fit? Similarly, would a vintage G&L (3-bolt) fit? Esoteric question, but sometimes folks have esoteric expertise.

Thanks for reading,
    -John

2. donk

donk

Nov 5, 2006
    there should be a way to fix the truss rod adjustment. take it to a competent repair person to see. otherwise a Status graphite replacement neck will make that bass a monster! You need the heel of the neck to be the correct size and length or the scale is off and you can't really move the bridge.

3. 22 AWG

22 AWG Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thanks so much for this reply—I appreciate it. Beyond the truss rod being maxed, the fretboard is cracked from about the first fret to the nut, and after sealing and clamping it, the wood is so thin that when the truss rod is tightened the maple bows up in a disconcerting way. On top of all that, it looks like someone overtightened the truss rod earlier in this bass's life so that the truss anchor is somehow at an angle and digging into the heel of the neck. In short, it feels like this neck is beyond saving.

I hadn't considered a graphite neck, though, and if that will fit on a vintage bass, I may go that route when I save up enough pennies.

Thanks again for your input.

4. 22 AWG

22 AWG Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Monday bump in case anyone else has other expertise on this—or is graphite my only option?

Thanks.

5. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    Have you contacted Ernie Ball? Maybe they can help.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. 22 AWG

22 AWG Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Hey there, that's an excellent suggestion—I'll see what they say. Thank you.

murmur70 likes this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ernie Ball neck since '91 have the spoke-wheel truss at the heel. it won't it your body.

I see there's an old EB '88 fretless neck old bullet truss on Reverb. you can get it fretted. Music Man Stingray Fretless Neck | Captain Ron's gear

there also a guy on the preEB facebook page that had several parts for sale, probably cost you a mint though.

8. 22 AWG

22 AWG Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Hey there, that turned out to be accurate: Ernie Ball said they couldn't help me. I'll take a look on the used sites. Thanks for your help.

Best,
    John