1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement speaker for an Ibanez Promethean P3110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stratovani, May 7, 2019.

1. I've been using my Promethean as a monitor with PA support. After our last gig it has developed a nasty buzzing sound, as if the speaker had been slashed with a knife. I'm going to open it up and look around and see if there's something out of place, but if the speaker needs replacing then could anyone recommend a good 10" speaker that 300 watts @ 4 ohms. Thanks.

2. Problem solved. Took the front grill off, no tears on the speaker cone. Removed the speaker, all wires and contacts were good. Put the speaker back in, tighten down the screws, plugged it in, and it sounded fine again, no buzzing. Had to have been a loose screw causing the buzzing. Glad it was a simple fix, for a while there I thought I was going to have to spend money on a new speaker, or even a new amp. I'm a happy camper again!

Cave Puppy, staurosjohn and nixdad like this.
  3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix - the best kind!

stratovani likes this.
  4. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Those speakers seem like they would be hard to replace what with the dual coil. Three hundred watts into 8 ohms with the internal speaker or 300 watts into the amp and an 8 ohm extension cab. I have one of those amps. Probably the most versatile amp I have.

dralionux, nixdad and stratovani like this.
  5. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I just bought a second P3110 and am selling my acoustic amp. The great part is, I can stack two together for my bass rig! Acoustic guitar / bass, both sound awesome. No need for an acoustic amp anymore.

IMG_2754.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    kpc likes this.
  6. Well, the buzzing of the speaker came back, and there was no stopping it. So I went ahead and replaced it with an Eminence CA-10 Speaker, 200 watts, 8 ohms. Sounds fantastic, plenty loud enough to be heard, and since the amp is a monitor for me it doesn't have to be insanely loud.

Greg Clinkingbeard likes this.
  7. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Good to know! Don't you miss the tweeter and how does it affect impedance since now you are using one speaker instead of the Ibanez stacked two?

8. No, not at all. I never had the tweeter on to begin with, since I don't slap. The Eminence speaker is plenty loud enough for me.

JCW308 likes this.