1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Retro Burst Stingray Pickguard Color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mdr0430, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Tort

50 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Clear

27 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Black

76 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. Naked

32 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. mdr0430

mdr0430

Mar 10, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    So I finally had enough of the white pickguard that came on the bass and removed it last night. I had planned to order a tort guard to replace, but after seeing the wood grain underneath I'm almost thinking about a clear one. What do you guys think: tort or clear? Black and just naked also crossed my mind. Throw me your suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Black or tort. If it were mine I'd go black...

3. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I would go black. Black and sunburst is always very nice!

4. I voted tort... but after seeing the grain on the monster I'd leave it naked/clear.

5. It looks great naked! but if it was my choice... it will be black!

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Naked would not be an option for me, because of the drill holes. Black looks good with that type of finish. My P is almost the same color:

SANY5315_zpsd512bb98.

7. mdr0430

mdr0430

Mar 10, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Nice looking P! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that retroburst is actually all brown and there is no black on the entire bass. That's why I initially thought tort instead of black (I've been scolded enough from my gf to not mix black and brown that it's finally stuck in my head). Has anybody ever used a clear guard, and if so, does it look nice or kind of cheap? thanks for the replies so far, I'm looking forward to more!

8. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Clear or naked all the way because the grain looks awesome.

9. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

The grain is amazing. Downside: the screw holes.

I'd say go a triple ply black/cream/black pick guard.

The black position dots and black pickup cover give you all the black you need as an excuse.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would go black, but I honestly cant believe that tort is getting beat in this poll:D

11. -Black or clear.

12. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Pickguards are uncomfortable, go naked for a while and then put the pickguard back on and you'll see what i mean.

13. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I put Red Pearl on mine & it looks awesome

14. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Alwayd been a fan of tort but recently saw an older Sting Ray with a burst and a black guard that was awesome. If it was me it would be black.

15. pphillips

pphillips

Sep 25, 2013
    I'm a newbie to this site. I'm looking for a tort pickguard for my stingray 4 classic. Is this the right forum? There hasn't been a post in "classified" forum in a long time, so figure this is where it's at.

16. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Not exactly. Go to the classifieds and look under accessories and place an ad on the Want To Buy section of the classifieds.

17. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    my first instinct is always mirrored, but it wasn't listed, and I think a PG would get in the way of the nice looking bod you have right there...I rarely see SR's naked

18. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    The place to find picguards is pickguards.com

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    That's actually one of the worst places to buy one - over priced, mediocre product - combined with crappy customer service...

I wouldn't send anyone to Pickguards.com/WD Music, when there are much better alternatives:

Pickguard Heaven
    Terrapin
    Pickguardian

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    That looks good, but how about this:

IMAG0965_zps4a80bcbd.

- georgestrings