Return or keep it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringMan50, Dec 22, 2004.

1. StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    Wife just supprise me with a new Ibanez SR885 5 string bass should I return it for something better or keep it?
  2. I would keep it, duh. It's present from your Wife. show a little respect, keep it for a little while at least... That's not a bad bass at don't like it?
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd return it and throw in the extra bucks (if you even need to) for a Rockbass or anything else for that matter. I really dislike Ibanez basses but don't feel like getting into all that again. They seem to always be lost in the mix any time I see someone using one live. My opinion.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Stringman, how long have you been married? How long do you want to stay married?..... :D Seriously, you have to know your wife. Would she take great offense to you returning it? She knows your a musician so she probably put some thought into that purchase so you better be very, very careful. Your on your own really. We don't know you and your wifes relationship so only you can decide. Good luck! :eek:
  5. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Shouldn't even be a question.

Keep the bass.

There was time and thought put into it, and she made a nice choice.

Worst comes to worse, maybe you put an EMG in it (if it doesn't come with one.

Gary Willis gets by with one!

p.s. get rid of the sad face icon, it doesn't look good and shows bas taste indeed - considering you have a spouse who is obviously supportive of your hobby.

p.s.s. Get off the Internet and don't worry about what we think, and go play
  6. My wife bought my Tribute L-2000 for my birthday with her bonus check. That bass will go to the grave with me. I don't know your wife, but returning gifts is generally frowned upon in my marriage.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you value your marriage and want to play again keep the bass..
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I don't like Ibenez. To modern looking for me.
    This is what you do:
    Say "oh theres something wrong with it"
    Take it in. Replace with something you really like. Take home and say
    "Oh the problem was unfixable I had to replace it"
    Gifts are one of the only places you can lie guilt free.

Ebit: If she finds out you lied then she might never buy you another bass again [DIYD DIYD]
  9. jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    I would keep the bass even if I hated it. Any gift from a loved one is a precious thing.
  10. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ya better keep it!
  11. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    The only reason you should return it is to suprise her with something twice the value.

Either that, or keep it.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would urge you to keep it. Even a cheaper bass is a considerable investment that should be appreciated. Your wife could have bought you a sweat suit or some cologne. Even if this bass doesn't float your boat, it could be a nice backup to your working/gigging bass if you are a musician who plays out of the house or aspires to do so. Most of all, if your wife is like most women, she would really be offended by you returning the bass, so be grateful and keep it! I wish my wife or anybody would give me a bass!!! :) :help: :bassist:
  13. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Never look a gift bass in the mouth.

/not so good with metaphors
  14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The only bass my wife has ever purchased for me (without me trying it first) was my '86 MIJ Jazz. At first, I was disappointed (why not an MIA?) but she took the time to go talk to a music store guy about something she knew nothing about, thought she found a real great deal in getting a Fender for a lot less then she had seen it anywhere else (duh, MIJ vs MIA, I thought to myself) and waited until the perfect moment to give it to me (I had just gotten out of the hospital and was in for an 8 week recuperation).

I thought, for a moment, about exchanging it, then just dismissed that idea. Bottom line, 16 years later it's still working hard and is one of the very best basses I have ever owned. I will NEVER sell that bass, no matter what, both for the thought that went behind her buying it for me as well as the sheer joy I get when playing it (less often now since the 5's & now 6 are in my hands). It was a loving, fantastic gift.
  15. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Bro! LISTEN TO ME! I have a custom bass on order. I can't tell my girlfriend because if I did she would go crazy and think that I'm wasting my money. She probably wouldn't talk to me for days. She is not supportive of my hobby with music and instruments at all. Dude your wife is so awesome for buying you that bass. My girlfriend would never buy me a bass. She probably wouldn't even get me a guitar strap. Ok, so its not a high end bass, but its a damn solid back up bass, especially if you switch out the pickups and preamp with something better (EMG's and an aguilar preamp or something). The bass would sound fine and cut through the mix. Half the reason ibanezs don't cut is the electronics aren't that great. More importantly just think that you wife was seriously thinking of you when she got it and she really wanted to make you happy with it. A $10,000 Alembic isn't nearly as valuable as that bass. Keep it bro. :smug:
  16. I got my Geddy Lee bass from my wife just as a gift for no specific reason. She knew I wanted a Jazz Bass and that I am a big fan of Geddy Lee. She told me she bought me a Fender Jazz while I was at sea and I figured it was a MIJ or a Squier or something like that until I got home and there sitting in my sound room was a brand spankin' new Geddy Lee Jazz. The point to this story is that even though I initially thought that she had bought me a MIJ I never even considered trading it in even though I was disappointed at first. A gift from your wife is a great thing that you should cherish cause what is here today could be gone tomorrow and I bet you'd want that bass back pretty quick if something ever happened to your wife. I think I've made my point.
  17. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Ha we are laying so many guilt trips on you. LOL. Bottom line you should keep it.
  18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This time of year, this advice seems to come up. The advice is: "Don't buy 'experts' gifts in their field of expertise".

Dont' buy a golfer golf clubs, don't buy a fisherman a fishing pole, etc...

The only exception is when the "expert" picks out the gift for you, and writes down the specific name and model # of the piece, or circles a picture in a catalog, etc.

"Experts" usually know what they want, and most of the time, already have what they want.

A reasonable person wants you to have a gift that you will enjoy. I don't know how knowledgeable your wife is when it comes to bass gear, but if she bought you a bass that you don't really like, I'm guessing that she bought it based on the advice of some "sales weasle" that doesn't know you. Or, maybe that was the nicest 5-string that was available where you wife was shopping, and she went for the top of the heap.

There are many diplomatic ways of returning the bass. Maybe you could exchange it for a less expensive piece, and use the rest of the money to buy your wife a gift to show your appreciation for her thoughtfulness...

Also, we're not talking about an ugly sweater or necktie. This is a gift that cost hundreds of dollars. Don't you think your wife wants that money invested in a gift you're 100% happy with?

If I were in your place, I would tell my wife how much I appreciated the time, effort, and thought that went into the gift, but for the amount of money she spent, that would not have been my first choice in basses. Then, ask if she would mind if you exchaned/returned it. Also, ask her to be involved in the replacement. Asking her which color she likes better, etc...