1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review: GHS Round Core Bass Boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Aug 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fresh out of the pack, these strings are an absolute pleasure. So harmonically rich in every sonic dimension they put a smile on my face right away.

medium.jpg
    GHS released their Round Core Bass Boomers at Summer NAMM 2014, so they are a little over two years old now. Not much has been written on them, until now.

With most roundwounds it's the top end that gets all (or most of) the attention. In his video @Jon Moody states that the top end has a soft glassy sheen. I like that and will go with it. The highs sing sweetly and are soft and airy with nary a zing in these strings.

The low end attack combined with low mid definition are the stars of this show. You actually get some gut level punch much like a flatwound as the attack isn't covered up by growl. Yes, these strings do growl but it isn't overbearing and unbalanced and muddy as in many other company's sets.

I like a meaty midrange, and GHS never fails to deliver the prime bass meat. Between the attack and the sustain it's the mids that bring home the beef. They are tasty and harmonically rich in overtone gravy.

The string-to-string balance of tone and volume is super sweet! If you play any cords or do any two hand tapping these are the strings for you. Here is also where the harmonic richness asserts itself with deft aplomb.

Balance of feel is good, and just as you would expect from a round core these strings are a bit more flexible than their hex core brethren.

The winding is fairly smooth like all Bass Boomers. They're roundwounds so yes there is string: 'talk'; 'chatter', or more accurately screech. But less than many other brands.

I didn't think there would be that much difference between cores, but there is enough to give GHS Round Core Bass Boomers their very own pleasant sonic personality.

I'll place compare & contrast posts between hex core Bass Boomers and Pressurewounds later in this thread.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Interesting. How would you compare them to DR Sunbeams?

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Not a DR fan, and have never played Sunbeams.

4. I haven't had a chance to try the Round Core Boomers yet, but based on their description by @Linnin and my experience with the Sunbeams, I would say the Boomers have punchier mids, while the SBs are slightly scooped in comparison.

RumbleMan3 and Lee Moses like this.
  5. RumbleMan3 and Lee Moses like this.
  6. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    For what it's worth, I have found DR Sunbeams to feel and sound very similar to GHS Pressurewound.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  7. My experience is different...

The Sunbeams are all about the full, warm bottom with a smooth but still bright top end, while the PWs have tighter lows and punchier mids. To my ears, the PWs are closer to the Nickel Lo-Riders both in sound and feel, both being hex-core.

RumbleMan3 and mikecd1 like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Here's an interesting quote from another thread.

RumbleMan3 and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm a long time Sunbeams user and am planning on grabbing a set of these for my next purchase. I'll post my thoughts when I do.

RumbleMan3 and Linnin like this.
  10. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    The GHS Round Core Boomers have far more mid content particularly in the low mids and are not scooped, resulting in a fatter and more authoritative voice. Tension is higher but comparable to most common strings yet with the give of the round core. Texture is also smooth. Top end character while not as bright initially is just right and lasts longer. Overall audio profile allows them to cut much better. While I haven't logged a ton of hours on them yet I can say already that they last longer than Sunbeams.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The most important question though is...what color are the silks?

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  12. Red.

mmbongo likes this.
  13. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Put a set of these on one of my P-Basses. Loved the tone right out of the box. two weeks later there were very different strings. They became, dull, lost there magic.
    Went back to Sunbeams. They keep there tone much longer.

14. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm...I think I may try these on my Stingray. I am normally a HiBeam user, but I recently put a set of pressurewounds on my Spector and they really work (IMO) with that bass. So as a change of pace, I think I might try these.

Edit...just ordered a set!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Linnin likes this.
  15. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Interesting. Not what I am experiencing at all. Exactly the opposite.

16. This simply indicates both the Boomers and the Sunbeams are living up to their respective names.

The magic of the Boomers are in the "boom", not in the "zing".

The "sun beams" are supposed to be both warm and bright at the same time.

Selim, CallMeAl and RumbleMan3 like this.
  17. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Been using Sunbeams for a long time and tried these on a lark. Felt the sunbeams had more definition in the mids and highs together with a better feel although both are round cores and I did think the bottom was nice on the GHS. Played them a few days and removed. They're now on my shelf as spares. YMMV

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool review thanks for taking the time to write it. I have a set in my closet Jason at (bass strings online.com) had a sale and I bought a set but I haven't had a chance to use them because my regular Bass Boomers aren't close to wearing out. I love GHS rounds because they are inexpensive, great low end, smooth high end with a great G string and the string noise is so low I forget they're rounds. :)

19. Nice review, I ordered some but I´m still waiting for them to arrive... peruvian postal service sucks.

Linnin likes this.
  20. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Same here - going back to regular boomers - I Loved these strings - dead in two weeks

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021