1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig weight/gigs comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassyBill, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    As the title suggests, I'm interested in finding out whether there's any correlation over the sample of players here between these two variables, just out of personal curiosity. If I get enough responses, I'll run 'em through Excel and see what we see.

So, could you please post
    A) Rig weight
    B) Gigs per year

For the weight, just post that of your most typical setup. Head (or rack) + cab(s), or combo if that's what you use. If you regularly gig with very different setups, then post them and say how much use each one gets - I'll take a weighted :) average.

For the gig freqency, how many gigs a year would be typical for you? I've asked for the yearly figure to iron out seasonal fluctuations.

Neither has to be spot on, just a rough guide. I'll go first:

A) 44lb (my Markbass combo - I rarely use anything else nowadays)
    B) Maybe 35 gigs in a reasonable year (yeah, I know - not enough :crying: )

Right, let's do it, guys.

2. I think the stronger correlation would be a combination of type of music played (heavy duty rock vs. pop/funk/jazz) and freelance versus band. However, I'll play!

Main rig... 63 pounds (Epi410UL/SD800).

Gigs... down to around 80 a year at this point.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm sure you might be right there. But I'm interested in whether there's any correlation at all between these two variables, even a weak one, across different styles and working arrangements.

Thanks for the data!

4. 130lbs ish (DB750 and GS410)
    25ish GPY (EDIT) + around 40 GPY @ church = 65ish

5. hmmm lets see, ampeg 810 165, svt II 85 ampeg rc 23 pounds, so about 273lbs, but its not as bad as it sounds cause of the casters on the 810 and my band actually helps with all the gear, and we play roughly 40-50 shows a year

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    about 90 pounds including my bass.

close to 100 gigs per year on average.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I take a different rig for each type of gig. One year though I had big rig gigs I gigged three times a week with a BBII. I've had two gigs with EA gear a month but one was avant garde jazz and the other funk/jazz. I have steady outside large rig gigs twice a year and two inside gigs a year at the same place that are more of a 1x12 gig.

8. vbass29

vbass29

Jul 30, 2007
    Warrington, PA
    Rig - a solid 110lbs, Demeter preamp, QSC power amp, Korg tuner - all rack mounted and a Bag End 4x10 coming in around 90lbs

# per year - 12 if we're lucky we all have day jobs and just do it for fun!

9. CBBass123

CBBass123 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    main rig - 213lbs (4u rack pre/power)(410/210 cabs)
    GPY - about 55 to 75

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Furman PL8 = 11 Lbs
    TFB-550 = 17 Lbs
    Aguilar GS112 = 42 Lbs
    Aguilar Gs112NT = 39 Lbs
    Total = 109 Lbs

What is a "gig"? I don't get paid...

gigs per year?? 52??

I play at church twice a Sunday, about every other weekend.

I have two rigs so I don't have to move the one from church unless I get board with the equipment and change pieces out.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Two sub-40 lb. cabs and a 6.5 lb head = ~85 lb.This rig works anywhere. Like Chadds I have gigs where I use even smaller setups.
    ~100 gigs/yr

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My vote is that a church gig is a gig. It has all of the responsibilities of a gig, if not a few additional ones.

13. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    The type of gig definitely influences the size and power of the rig. Having logged 114 gigs in 2006, here is the approximate breakdown for the rigs used:

75% Hartke Kickback 12" [43 LBS]
    20% Hartke 3500 & Epifani UL310 S1 [83 LBS incl. cases]
    5% Backline provided.

The preamps and power amps in the Hartke 1200 and 3500 have been modified, and the Kickback also has an added tweeter. So far this year however, I am using the Hartke/Epi rig approximately twice as frequently as I did last year because the sound and power (when really needed) is so gratifying and it often requires less PA support (a good thing in many cases!) I would LOVE to go for a lighter amp (such as a a LM II or Neo-Pak 3.5) to run the UL310, but don't know how they compare against the POWER amp section of the HA-3500. I hate the weight of the 3500 with its case but can't justify the expense of a new, lighter amp if it doesn't at the very least match what I'm getting out of the HA-3500 in terms of low end oomph, headroom, and damping factor.

14. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    Those qualify as gigs! If you're performing live and schlepping equipment, it doesn't really matter if you're paid in sheckles or Salvation...

15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I use a Thunderfunk 550B in a rack bag (20 Lbs?)

with either a Labsystems 210 (55 Lbs) or 212 (73 Lbs).
    Mostly the 212

Looking at my tax records i did about 150 gigs last financial year.

16. Amp -
    cab - together = 138lbs

GIGS/year = 120

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I use an LMII with an older Epifani cab, a NYC 212 and it drives it effortlessly. I also use it with a Shroeder 410R and an SWR Triad. Each of these are 4 ohm cabs so it puts 500w to them. It should excede what you currently use.

18. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    <80 lbs. Glock Heartrock 41lbs. - EA NL210 36 lbs.

I use this for 90% of gigs and have other sets ups for specific situations.

Approx 100 gigs per year.

I am not sure the correlation your looking for is there, age, amount of disposable income, the type of car and location of equipment storage probably play an important role as well.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think the literature said my 410 weighs in at 83LBS

My head must be another 40 or so

My bag O' tricks has to be 25 or 30 when it's fully loaded

Bass in a case prolly 15lbs

I probably gig 30 to 35 times in a year.

20. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    a) Rig weight (not including the bass) is about 140lbs
    b) gigs/year is about 35

There are a lot of other variables too. Like cost of equipment. I'd need at least a grand to replace my $300 (used) 2x15 with lightweight stuff.