RIP Paul Jackson :(

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bob_Ross, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Not only tone, but time too. If Einstein had lived to hear Paul Jackson, he would rewritten the theory of relativity.

JimK and nbsipics like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I think this tribute is from Japan.

3. inoshishi

inoshishi

Dec 12, 2018
    Paul Jackson was so great. I saw him with Herbie Hancock along with Mike Clark in Santa Barbara while I was going to the University. I play guitar. Imagine my joy when my very first tour was with Paul, Mike, and Brian Auger. Paul playing in that situation was larger than life. His sound was open and huge and I had a chance to hear all the tonal permutations he got out of his bass. I'll never forget the incredible music that happened during that tour.

JimK and KJMO like this.
  4. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Wow, not many have had that kind of experience! Is there video of any of the performances?

5. inoshishi

inoshishi

Dec 12, 2018
    There is no video from this period. This particular unit played a series of gigs at a club in Redwood City, CA some time before embarking on this tour which took us all over the United States. This was the only time that this group toured.

JimK, KJMO and jerry like this.
  6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Club Fox?

7. inoshishi

inoshishi

Dec 12, 2018
    I don't remember the name of the club. I do remember the gig. We played a bunch of jazz standards like Maiden Voyage, Well You Needn't, and Oleo. This was a way for us to get to know each other. It was very interesting to hear these tunes played loud and electric. It was a blast!

JimK and jerry like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Hang Up Your Hangups live

9. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    I was blasting Eddie Henderson’s “Heritage” from 1975 that has Paul and Mike. A lesser known album but the grooves are unbelievable on this one. A classic space-jazz-funk tour de force.

JimK, jerry and steubig like this.
  10. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    No Way!
    Just listening an Actual Proof in past few weeks and talking to my friends how great song I'm trying to learn...
    So sad

Mark 63 likes this.
  11. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    This might be heresy but as I'm not a very dedicated bass player I have to admit I'd never heard of Paul Jackson before the notices of his passing started circulating.
    If you had to pick a half dozen tunes that best exhibit his style, tone and touch what would they be?
    Thanks, Jay

12. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    herbie hancock/headhunters: thrust

64lusso, ritz and Bob_Ross like this.
  13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^This. That'll get you four tunes; to round out the full half dozen, add "Hang Up Your Hang Ups" from Man Child, and "Watermelon Man" from Headhunters.

64lusso, The Owl and nbsipics like this.
  14. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Friday the Berklee Bass Dept webinar is dedicated to Paul’s memory. Looks like A LOT of guests will be joining for this one! upload_2021-3-29_19-4-50.png

Bob_Ross and maplebar like this.
  15. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    Anyone who's free right now, GET ON ^^^THIS ZOOM CALL!!! Holy crap, talk about a Who's Who of bassists & drummers... Great stories about playing with PJ from Herbie Hancock and Mike Clark and Lenny White and David Garibaldi and...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    JimK and nbsipics like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Aw man, I forgot!

17. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Still going

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    It may still be going on! But I had to run some errands. Managed to take a few screenshots...which btw, everybody else on the call was doing too! Really funny to see Herbie Hancock trying to get a pic of Lee Sklar, etc. Incredible chunk of musical royalty all in one (virtual) room paying tribute to an amazing milestone in bass playing.

PJ 1.jpg PJ 2.jpg

Attached Files:

64lusso and JimK like this.
  19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Love that album!

Joshua and jerry like this.
  20. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    ....hanging with Gov't Mule

Joshua likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021