Rob Anzellotti's machined C extension capos

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    As some of you know, I recently had NYC luthier Bill Merchant install an extension my bass. I have always wanted one of Bill's extensions and I'm extremely happy with mine - both the functionality and the improvement in sound. I've always found Bill's extension design to be really elegant and I think a lot of that is due to the machined capos he uses.

I was reminded of their advantages recently when I was playing someone else's bass and using the gates on their extension. It had big wooden gates which were ornately carved - very pretty. I personally don't care for that kind of ornate stuff on a bass but that's my personal taste. As far as the size goes, I personally like a more integrated look to the extension that doesn't draw so much attention. What was interesting was that I found the bigger gates cumbersome to navigate. You'd think bigger gates would be quicker to locate and dis/en-gage but I don't find that to be the case.

I think there are some luthiers using smaller wooden gates but I've only seen one or two. When I was inquiring around about extensions I noticed that Bill's cost for each additional gate on the extension was about half that of most others. I think that may also be due to the use of these machined capos.

I've just found out that these capos are generally available and thought others may want to know. They are made by bassist Rob Anzellotti and he has a website. Perhaps this means we'll see other luthiers using these and perhaps also for bassists, a slight reduction in price for extensions.
  2. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I should add that Chris Mathers in NY is Rob's partner in the production on these capos. I think Rob lives in Germany now.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The mounting looks simple and slightly adjustable but they are threaded. If it turns you may not have the right tension holding down the note. AES uses Springs to maintain the Tension in this Pic;

Second pic down..
  4. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's a simple matter of adjusting it so that when you do engage it, it has enough tension. No need to bother with springs or anything like that. You can adjust it so that it engages with whatever amount of tension you like. All of mine engage and disengage very easily but have plenty of tension down on the string.
  5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    To be more specific, you just screw it down to the right height so that it always engages at that height.
  6. robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    The AES design appears to come down from above, and would need a very strong spring to clamp with necessary pressure. My capo rotates into position from behind, at a slight downward angle, just like conventional E-stops, which do not rely on spring tension to give clamping pressure. There is a teflon insert in the thread, but it is only there to prevent the arm from rotating to freely. My early prototypes had a spring to perform this function, but the insert is simpler, and unlikely to vibrate. I expect a lot of criticism and questions (and worse!) now that Adrian has thrown my design into the Talkbass spotlight. All I can say is that I stand behind my design, I will read and answer, and I am ready to fight!

Thanks again Adrian. It is time that I came out with this. And, most of the people who have dissed me in the past never bothered to take a close look, let alone actually try it out.
    Rob Anzellotti
  7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The spring that I use and I believe Arnold uses is not to provide clamping pressure but to give tension to the capo in its open position so it does not rattle. It also allows for easy up and down tensioning. This style of capo also comes from behind with a downward angle. It works like a charm. I have not tried your device but I look forward to doing so. It would be a 1000% easier install than mortisng each capo base into the extention.