1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roland VB-99

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fokof, Feb 6, 2009.

1. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Nice! I use a GR-55 with mine.

fokof likes this.
  2. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I wish Roland would make a successor to the VB-99, one that is not dumbed down or feature reduced, in a foot-pedal format (like the V-Bass)

fokof likes this.
  3. Rowka

Rowka

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I kinda hope not, as I just got my VB-99 Tuesday :thumbsup:, but I do already miss the V-Bass, GT-10B pedal board and Manual "stomp box" functionality.

Speaking of which...
    Please tell me more about this. Does it do a true stomp box mode, or do you have to program assigns in each patch?
    Does it work with the number pedals, or just the CTL pedals?
    A full run down would be greatly appreciated.

fokof likes this.
  4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I'll try :woot:

Yes you have to program some stuff.
    VB99/FC300 can be very complicated (that's why it didn't sold that much me thinks ..... well..... that and the price !) but the possibilities are 100 times of the old V-Bass

So....

FC300 is normally in Sysex mode to get all the features/names/tuner of the VB99 etc....

Switch the FC300 to CC mode
    When you're in CC mode , it send CC control data to the VB99 like any other controller would.
    So you have the 10 on/off pad + the 2 controllers + 2 Pedals + 2 pedal switches + whatever you plug in the 8 controller inputs (switches or pedals)
    That's a possibility of 20 On/Off switches + 2 pedals or 12 On/Off switches and 5 pedals ..... whatever you want
    That's without counting what you have on your bass + the possibilities on the VB99

You just have to program the CC in the section : control assign/page 7-8-9
    Then you could use whatever controller you want to change your FX , a FC300 , a USB kbd even CC coming from a CPU if you run sequences in your band....

Sky is the limit....

I use a foot switch in the "Mode" insert of the FC300 to switch between Sysex and CC mode.
    I change patch and tune myself in sysex.
    I just have to press it to switch between "stomp box mode"(CC Mode) and Syses mode.

A tip:
    Make yourself a patch with all the controllers and use that same patch as default to build all your others patches, that way , you won't have to reprogram all the Assignations each time you do a new patch.
    (unless you want something different on all your patches)

Lot's of good info in V guitar forum , in the FC300 section , or in the VG99 section.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  5. Rowka

Rowka

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks fokof. This answers a questions that I haven't figured out from the forums at V Guitar.
    I did see over there, though, the suggestion that GT-10B (which I already own) might make a very capable controller. Although getting my head around the complexities of programming the CC sends on the GT and coordinating them with CC receives on the VB99 is proving a task. I do like the idea of having a backup ready to go on stage all the time. I might have to really dig into that. Any suggestion on where to start figuring that out?

6. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I'll post a patch @ V guitar in VB99 patch exchange>Patch request

It's my basic/general FX patch

I've programmed my FC300 so it sends CC#65 and up starting from pedal #1

pedal 1 = #65 = Mutron
    pedal 2 = #66 = Octaver
    pedal 3 = #67 = Chorus
    pedal 4 = #68 = Deeper 2X2 Chorus
    pedal 5 = #69 = Freeze/hold (pedal 5 on the FC300 is @ momentary)
    pedal 6 = #70 = Reverb
    pedal 7 = #71 = Delay
    pedal 8 = #72 = Distortion
    pedal 9 = #73 = Amp Sim
    pedal 10= #74 =Main Delay
    CTL 1 = #80 = Volume boost 30%
    CTL 2 = #81 = Tap tempo
    Pedal 1 = #7 = Foot volume (to sweep delay)
    Switch ped 1 = #82 = nothing
    Pedal 2 = #1 = Wha Wha control
    Switch ped 2 = #83 = On/Off Wha Wha

You can Add 8 switches/controllers to the FC300 + you can assign controllers from the VB99 and your GK .......

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  7. JoshAckerley

JoshAckerley Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2011
    im not sure if this thread is still going but I have a question about my VB-99. When I am strickly on direct bass does my signal go through and of the processing, like can i use the efffects, compressors, eqs, etc

8. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    V-Guitars Forum will have plenty of VB-99 answers for you

VB-99 General

9. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If you're referring to plugging into the guitar in jack on the back - yes you can route and use all of the VB-99 other than the bass models and the Hex effects. The amp and effect models are yours for the using.

10. JoshAckerley

Mar 24, 2011
    No using the 13 pin. So will the signal from direct bass still be processed?

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Yes, you will only get the generic effects, without the 13pin GK pickup, you will not get alternate tunings, poly distortion, modelled instruments, or GR-300 synth.
    It will work just like an ordinary effects unit with a normal mono guitar jack type input plug.

12. JoshAckerley

Mar 24, 2011
    Im saying I AM using the 13 pin. So my question is while using the 13 pin cable can I create a patch using the direct bass and effects over the direct bass.

13. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yes you can - make sure the GK pickup is set to "Mix". You can set one of the channels to use the pickup and use all of the amp & effect models. You can also use the "Direct" button to put your regular signal through but I don't believe that signal path has any effects on it.

14. Rowka

Rowka

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a VB-99 paired with the FC-300 and GR-55.

I've been building patches in both and normalizing the levels with wither the V-Bass level (effectively a Patch Level) on the VB, and the Patch Level on the GR.

I have had the GK Volume globally disabled on both and have the control Hold activated.

If I needed to adjust the volume on the fly I use the FV.

I have recently added a US-20 to the mix to use both units live and am running into a problem.

The US-20 required the GK volume set to "Patch" Level to operate. Since I use Control Hold to keep the FV position between patch changes this results in the GK Volume position overriding my normalized patch levels.

If I have to default to a standard numerical patch level, what other parameter could (should) I be using to normalize my patch volumes?

Any suggestions?

15. amadeusex

amadeusex

Aug 16, 2008
    Athens Greece
    Hi guys!

I'm using my VB-99 live but without the GK-3b Pickup and need suggestions on how to get a (semi-) convincing synth bass sound out of it.

So far I've tried combinations of Octave and/or pitch shifter and whatnot else but I don't really like what I get.

Any suggestions ?

16. JoshAckerley

Mar 24, 2011
    I’ve done a few different synth patches by layering A electric models with octave and B with a synth model or filter