1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Root Position Major, Minor, Dominant Chords For Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jloch86, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey

el_Bajo_Verde, Radio, Mushroo and 4 others like this.
  2. Thanks for posting. Enjoyed messing around with this.

3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Cool! :thumbsup:

P.S. You have a lot of time to record covers and post some other stuff.

4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    This is good stuff. In my experience, chords played on the strings E,A,D are muddy. When I play chords, I only play the upper two chord tones on the D and G strings. Bass can either be on the E or A string, and the chord shape is dictated by the string from which the root note is played.

5. George1962

George1962

Jan 9, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Still new to site so pardon me if this is not the right forum to ask this questions. If I start on the second fret on the E string that would be a F#(sharp), if I start a aeolian (minor) scales their would that be a F#minor scale?

Thanks

Jorge

6. George1962

George1962

Jan 9, 2017
    Houston, TX
    When you mean alternative fingerings are you saying to find other F# on the neck and using the same scale pattern, or starting with the F# and using other scales for example like in the major family such as an Ionian or Lydian?

7. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Yes.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you clarify some more?

8. I'll answer your question by first saying the following is not related to the video showing chord patterns.

If you use the natural minor scale pattern and place the pattern's root note on the F# found at the 4th string 2nd fret - the notes of the F# natural minor scale await you within the pattern.

If you used the major scale pattern and placed the pattern's root note on the A note at the 4th string 5th fret the A major scale notes await you within the pattern.

Your thinking is sound.

9. George1962

George1962

Jan 9, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Thanks! I need my friend to come over and strum a few chords on his guitar and at least I can play over the chords by using a Triad, 1,3,5. Would that be a good approach to learning how to create your own grooves?

10. Well you can groove roots. Groove has more to do with rhythm than specific notes in a bass line.

Normally we lock with the drummer's kick drum and when we both play the same beat rhythm we will fall into a groove.

You not having a drummer, just your friend playing rhythm guitar - one of you needs to be the "beat master". What does the beat master do? Decides on the tempo, aka BPM and the time signature, i.e. 4/4, 3/4, 5/8 or whatever time signature you both will use. Normally 4/4 is what most music will gravitate to.

So have your friend strum a chord progression and you do roots to the beat. When that is comfortable throw in the five, R-5-R-5. When that flows add the eight, R-5-8-5. When that is comfortable then start thinking about bringing in the correct 3 and 7. That ole R-5-8-5 will play a lot of bass. Remember falling into a groove is more about the rhythm than any specific notes you put into the bass line.

11. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Malcolm is right. I though you were asking if starting an aeolian scale pattern on F#, would that be an F# minor scale. YES INDEED it is.

The approach I take is waiting until I hear a bass line in my head, then I play it.

12. George1962

George1962

Jan 9, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Why the 8? Shouldn't if be the 7?

13. Kinda depends how specific you want to be. My R-5-8-5 is a generic work anywhere bass line. When you want to get specific and start calling attention to the major or minor that is when the correct 3 and 7 enter into the picture.

IMO the simple repetitive bass lines fall into a groove much easier than complicated bass lines. R-5-8-5 is just some roots, fives and octaves, that is about as generic as you can get.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. George1962

George1962

Jan 9, 2017
    Houston, TX
    All Chinese to me ! :)

15. Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  16. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hey guys I already have 2 thumbs down on YouTube for this video. Does it suck or something? No one ever leaves a reason for their thumbs down.

17. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I think it's just trolls. Some people like being negative. It's easy to give a thumbs down. Maybe they should post their own video of chords on bass. That's harder and takes more courage than giving an anonymous thumbs down.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Mushroo likes this.
  18. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks man. I thought so. I can accept constructive criticism all day but I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to make something better unless someone tells me specifically what the problem is.

19. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Who knows why. If they are not going to say, then it's not constructive. You aren't a mind reader, so no use in guessing. I'd just blow if off and stay positive about the good you are doing. These chords are helpful because they are moveable, easy because they are root based, and you give two inversions each for the three main chord qualities.

I like how you emphasize the color chord tones (3s and 7s) and why. Also, people should quickly realize that (1-3-7) inversion shapes are always closed (i.e. on three adjacent strings), and the 1-7-3 inversion shapes are all open (played on the E, D,and G strings.

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    One of my early teacher showed me like 5 way of doing the same scale and with those 5 positions, 5 chords.

That may be interesting to you. If you want to I could make a quick vid showing what I have in mind.