1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I do still have a passive 4 JJ (it’s not a Roscoe) that I play from time to time. I wish I could change the pickups more easily (for some reason G&L Tribute JB-2 pickup screws off are just enough to not have after market replacements fit) as it just isn’t quite there sound wise, but it isn’t bad. So I can kind of “scratch the itch” so to speak.

JOME77 and mmbongo like this.
  2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Those G&L's are a great bang for the buck too. It is a shame that they didn't observe OEM spec's so you could easily do mods.

What do bassists and a law suit have in common?

Everyone's relieved when the case is closed. :roflmao:

herndonbassist and SteveC like this.
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I bet that you wish you still had that old car!:)

Of course now that I think about it, it may be some where in your shop hidden by the all the machinery, dust, Harley's and Honda's! :roflmao:

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL what are we gonna talk about when someone actually buys that bass from Greg? ;)

RocketMusic, SteveC and Freddy-G. like this.
  5. How 'bout, which Roscoe bass is best for metal?

herndonbassist and armybass like this.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Agreed. The bass plays fine, and it sounds OK, I'm just spoiled a little and not really used to that passive tone. My wife paid like $230 for it closeout new. I'd like to get it to the point where I really like the tone. Maybe an outboard preamp of some kind. Sadowsky or something like that.

herndonbassist likes this.
  7. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I just counted 13 P basses here , guess which one is sitting in the front of the line for a quick grab n go ?
    [​IMG]

Freddy-G. and staccatogrowl like this.
  8. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger Steve!

9. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger Steve!

fretno, armybass and Fred312b like this.
  10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL.

11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Trigger hasn't been pulled. Sorry.

JLY and herndonbassist like this.
  12. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I HIGHLY recommend picking up an Aguilar ToneHammer and seeing if you can get a tone you like with the G&L pickups. I found their pickups to be very distinctly voiced, and I think the ToneHammer would blend nicely with them. Also... if you find you really like the ToneHammer, you could always go with an OBP3 in the bass, as their based on the same circuit. Anyway, that's my $.02

SteveC likes this.
  13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been curious about the ToneHammer. I have used a Sadowsky pre/di in the past. I'm actually thinking about trying the new Tech 21 YYZ pedal when it ships. Get my Geddy Lee on. I haven't had much luck with Tech 21 in the past but maybe for something completely different from my Roscoe/JDI rig...
    YYZ Geddy Lee – Tech 21 NYC

herndonbassist and fretno like this.
  14. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    want that YYZ

herndonbassist likes this.
  15. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Ugh... I missed the release of that one. Now I want another pedal!!! :)

fretno likes this.
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've watched a number of demos on it and it really does give you that "Geddy" sound - from any bass you use really. Active 5, passive jazz, any of them. Might be a cool tone to add to my cover band. I've got clean modern 5 so maybe a dirty passive 4 would be fun. Or run the Roscoe through it. Who knows. I'm not a pedal guy but this might find a use on my cover band board. Don't think I'll need it for church.

herndonbassist and fretno like this.
  17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I think I will snag one , do you know the expected release date ?

18. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

Wait...@fretno has 13 P basses that aren't all Roscoes. That's a baker's dozen of P basses. Outrage on 2 levels: too many Ps, and too many xyz basses.

19. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    One of them says "Fender" the other "Wilkins" one says "Pittman" and I have to check on the others pretty sure they go through the entire range of the alphabet though . Thats after giving 2 away and lending out 1 permanently .. still it could be more p.s. where is the do not like button ??? :smug:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    staccatogrowl and JOME77 like this.
  20. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

I'm gathering up my pitchfork, torch, and angry villagers. One angry villager for each P bass you don't need. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage: (That's 12, in case you are reading from a small screen).

staccatogrowl and JOME77 like this.