1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You have no idea how much self-control it takes to come in here everyday and not buy the #001 from Rocket . no idea ..

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    wait I know that song

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    OK. So with all the P-Bass talk and "I can kind of make my Roscoe Custom or STD (with Bart SB's) sound like a P-bass" I thought that I'd try.
    Personally I don't think that I came too close but in a live mix .....:unsure:

I'm going to post 2 sound clips. One is a Roscoe with Flats and the other is a P-bass with Flats (not one of fretno's P-basses :)).

See if you can identify which is which. I think you can.

Attached Files:

steelin4u and fretno like this.
  4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ok Dude , first of all you did an outstanding job on those . To my ears I can hardly tell a difference at all .I'd be lying if I said I knew so it's 100% guessing :D I think Melissa 2 is the P but I like Melissa 1 better by a small amount . I think it's better voiced with the kick and slips in to this mix a wee hair more but talk about challenging for the listener . It would have helped if you slapped those strings on the frets a little I could prolly point and say "clank" :D both are fantastic imo , now don't say just let , everyone gets a go !

herndonbassist and JOME77 like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Early June I think.

fretno likes this.
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ok cool Thanks Dude

7. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Don't Believe Everything You Think

Jun 4, 2012
    Georgia
    The sound quality on this old iPad is not what I'd like but, I'm guessing Melissa 2 is the Roscoe and Melissa 1 is the XYZ P. To my ear the sound on Melissa 2 is tighter, a little cleaner, and shows more sustain. Of course, the fingers of the player could be a big part of what I'm hearing.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Mellisa 1 - Roscoe SKB
    Mellisa 2 - Fender P-bass

I was a bit surprised when I listened fresh this morning. I could barely tell them apart. Both versions were recorded pretty much dry with just a touch of compression (Alesis Nano Compressor). Strangely, the P-bass has La Bella flats and the Roscoe has D'addario Chromes. The Chromes have a lot more sustain but I palm muted (played with a pick) and that put them a bit more in the same ball park. IMO they sound more different live (soloed).

Fred312b and fretno like this.
  9. I was curious if I was going to hear a difference. I have a small OontZ wireless speaker here at work. And I’m playing it at a low volume level. I wasn’t sure after listening to #2. But listening to #1, I could hear some growl in the tone (more tonal detail in the mids) and decided that had to be the Roscoe. Maybe the strings contributed to the difference in tone too. This little speaker is amazingly clear for its size. Thanks for making the recordings, Joe.

JOME77 likes this.
  10. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Don't Believe Everything You Think

Jun 4, 2012
    Georgia
    A little confused here. You played the two differently?

11. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    just for the record I call anything with a spit P or SCP a " P bass"

here are a few of my P's so ya see what I mean
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Wow those are pretty. I absolutely love the pinkish one with the cutout on the upper bout.

fretno likes this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm going to the "big city" this weekend to window shop and maybe for real. What flats do you all use on your Roscoe's? I may pick up a set and try it. No gigs for a few weeks so time to experiment.

Fred312b likes this.
  14. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It would take all day for me to sit here and say how amazing this bass is . It's like no other I have ever picked up . The quick n dirty details are . Shes a 32" Steve McDonald Steve McDonald Basses

It was built for a TB'er who squirrel'd away all the wood over his years of collecting and sent it to Steve . It has a Ash Neck , Poplar body and that amazing figured and very pink Pink Ivory . It's a hair over 6 lbs. It has a Aero pickup and Nordy 2 band . It's a magical combination of parts , a phenom .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    What's the bass in the last photo on the amp? Is it hollow?

16. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That is a Warmoth SSB ( short scale ) G4 single cut .It is a solid body . The nitro Burst was done by TB's Paul Slagle of Pittman guitars . It has a Warmoth Ziricote 32" neck and a Duncan custom "stinger" w/ Mahogany back and Birds eye Maple top.. it's a beast of a wee bass. The stinger is fantastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have a few more around here somewhere :D

emjazz and herndonbassist like this.
  18. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Wow... it really did get more awesomer! I guess I have a thing for pink ivory :D

fretno likes this.
  19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yes. In an attempt to replicate the sound of a P-Bass.

fretno and Fred312b like this.
  20. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Right now, Ernie Ball Cobalts with a C from a leftover set of D'Addario HalfRounds.
    Personally, I prefer D'Addario EXL Nickels, but my paying projects are blues and rock (more Classic than modern) and rounds give me more mwah than is really appropriate for those. With the Cobalts I can dial in some mwah where I want it without having to fight 'too much.'