1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Keith just posted pics of my new SKB3005 Spalted Myrtle bass. It turned out great.
    244D8A5A-2E39-4965-BB5C-92C6F5176BFA.jpeg 81B5A584-8215-4B73-AC63-B75254CC3DF8.jpeg F6C977F9-33AE-4D65-858A-BF361F0C6493.jpeg F29D60C4-6609-4D8C-8E5D-9D1AD7A108F5.jpeg 724EDF3F-223E-4C20-B56A-9991F691787C.jpeg 2203C1AF-8618-4DBC-8B29-33C9F710E4AF.jpeg 865D0D36-F549-453A-83F9-2BC7423C5E7B.jpeg

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind...
    Interestingly, Bee Spears didn't play a Fender live - my sources indicate it was an Epiphone Vinnie Hornsby Signature Les Paul.
    When Trigger plays out, I usually play the first set on the Roscoe Fretted 5, and the second set with the fretless, which is normally my #1 go-to.
    It's just so easy to play, and I love the tone, which is why it got the nod for the video session.
    But so far this year we've played exactly one show, our "shakedown cruise" premiere which was a free show we did for a share of the tip jar. So my total income this year for this project is $35 and I won't be buying many basses on that. We do have a paying show scheduled for end of September so maybe we're ramping up to a breakout year in 2021 (like 2020 was supposed to be...)
    That, by the way, is Bill's real hair...

Fred312b and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  3. That’s beautiful! What is the nut made from? Why did you decide to go with a wood nut?

Bassworship1 likes this.
  4. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    That is a Diamond wood nut. He has many colors left over and that was what he thought matched best.

5. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Lol
    Now that's a true Willie fan!

Fred312b likes this.
  6. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
  7. That bass is gorgeous . You picked my favorite wood specs and what I would call a dream bass. Never tried the Aggies pickups so I cant speak to that. I wasnt a fan of the OBP 3 loaded one I owned. Call me old fashioned but I think you should stick with the black hardware. Either way, congrats!

8. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Diamondwood is Engineered wood and is probably on of the best materials out there to use for fabricating a nut (at least from a hardness and sustain prospective). And of course they look beautiful too!

blmartin2215, TolerancEJ and Andy V. like this.
  9. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Builders should start matching diamondwood nuts to woods used in their basses.
    Shane's bass turned out really beautiful.

10. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Unfortunately the plant that fabricated Diamondwood and Phenolwood (Zon) burnt down several years ago and while there are other fabricators of similar engineered woods, at last report they only make it in black. Not sure if Keith has found an acceptable alternative yet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Andy V. likes this.
  11. My Curbow has Rockwood, another engineered material. It has the most unique sound of all my basses.

12. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Those Curbow’s are awesome basses!
    He was one of Keith Roscoe’s mentors in the early years. Don’t ever let that one go!

TolerancEJ, staccatogrowl and Andy V. like this.
  13. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Eastern NC
    There is no acceptable alternative....

14. Hello,

I am considering getting a 90s 6 string Roscoe but I am a bit concerned by the weight of the beast (around 11.5 lbs). The bass has one of these big Wilkinson bridges, and i am not sure what they are made of. Would it help save some weight to swap the bridge for an aluminium hipshot a model for instance? Thanks for the help.

Cheers

15. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    “11.5 lbs”!!!! :wideyed: Run!!!!

gregouille23 likes this.
  16. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Keith nailed the weight on this new SKB as he said it was 8.5 pounds.

17. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Present! :chicken:

18. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    That’s still lighter than my 78 Precision!

19. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I suspect that’s why the Universe had me playing guitar until the mid-90’s.
    One of the instruments I played in elementary school was the brass tuba! I was so glad when they bought the fiberglass one in the last year I was there. By the time I went to high school I was done playing/carrying heavy instruments.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    gregouille23 likes this.
  20. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    My main bass for 8 years or longer was a over 12 pound Music Man Stingray 5HH. That bass sounded so good but would kill you on a 3-4 hour gig.