1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I owned one of those when I first started out playing bass. Getting rid of it was a load off of my shoulder!
    Weight is the main reason I shy away from a lot of basses I would otherwise like to play/own. That and 19mm string spacing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    gregouille23 and Andy V. like this.
  2. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Wilkinson bridge does have s fairly large footprint but it’s quite light. Plus if you remove it there aren’t many bridges out there that would cover the screw holes and impressions that it leaves in the top.
    I actually liked those bridges. Mike Tobias and Carvin used those bridges back then too.
    If you can’t deal with the weight I’d say pass on the bass. That being said, some of the best sounding basses that I’ve played were heavy. Maybe it could be your sit down bass.:)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Greetings

Applying for membership with:
    Roscoe SKB-3006 Serial #5668
    Figured Ash Body / 35" Scale Maple Purpleheart Neck
    Birdseye Maple Fretboard w/ Matching Headstock
    Diamondwood Nut / Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    Hipshot Standard A Style Bridge
    (Updated the Roscoe version to allow lower action on treble side. Went with Gold to save hassle of scraping black paint off new bridge to allow grounding) Roscoe1.JPG Roscoe2.JPG Roscoe3.JPG Roscoe4.JPG Roscoe5.JPG
    Roscoe Bartolini 3 Band Preamp with coil tap switches
    Roscoe Bartolini Pickups

Couldn't be happier. Post bridge update it has action like a fine classical guitar and the classic Roscoe tone.
    Just the color I was looking for to complete my 6 string trio of instruments.

I know that pictures are required so here they are:

4. bassWR

bassWR

Nov 21, 2009
    Warner Robins GA
    Beautiful top on that one. Congratulations.

5. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Thanks. Actually no top.
    Just one solid and rather pretty piece of Ash

6. bassWR

bassWR

Nov 21, 2009
    Warner Robins GA
    Hang on to that one. Not much ash out there to be had these days.

7. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Man! That is a very tight pin flame top on that bass! Definitely a 5AAA top. Very cool stain too.
    Is it just me or do the recessed knobs take away from the look of bass? I've just never been able to love that feature.

SteveC likes this.
  8. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Dennis, do you feel the need to confess something on this forum? I feel like you're hiding something from us.;)

JLY, Nightman and Fred312b like this.
  9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I’ve never been a fan of the recessed knobs, But to each their own. I actually prefer the look of the standard basses. The carved tops are really nice, but I also love my “flat” standard plus basses with black knobs.

10. Agreed Joe, I don't like the look of the recessed knobs.

11. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    :laugh: Plenty of it around here!!

12. bassWR

bassWR

Nov 21, 2009
    Warner Robins GA
    So this will be headed my way this week.
    One of Shane’s former basses. Thanks to NateWin.
    upload_2020-8-2_16-56-35.jpeg

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    There were some tops posted on the Roscoe FB page that Shane was picking from. Must be a other in the making.

14. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congrats Dennis! That one is a beauty!
    It looks like it has very nice wide piece of Wenge in the center of the neck. Add to that the Wenge finger board and it should have lots of growl!

15. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    I’m fortunate to have two made from Diamondwood and one from estate Ivory. Not sure he does the former anymore

Bassworship1 likes this.
  16. Thanks for the helpful reply. I had another stupid idea meanwhile... the bass comes with Sperzel tuners as well, which are then from either the 80s or 90s... would replacing these by let s say hipshot ultra lites save some weight? :D I am more and more considering 11.5 lbs is not that bad but if I could save a bit more that would be even better :smug:

17. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    I think this thread may be of some help to you as it lists the weight and other details of large number of bass tuners, including Sperzel's and Ultralite's.

Tuner weights revisited: GB350, Ultralites, GB707, etc.

18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I put Gotoh Res O Lites on and I love them. Shaved almost a half pound off the headstock vs the older Gotoh tuners. They are lighter than Hipshots and I prefer the action on them to Hipshots. Just my opinion but I dont think you can find a better tuner.

GOTOH GB350 Res-o-lite Compact Bass Tuning Machines Tuners - Preconfigured Sets

gregouille23 and Fred312b like this.
  19. I completely agree. Just got a bass with gotoh res o lite and i love them. Smooth action and stay in tune, what more can you expect :D