Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe owners attention

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Hey all you Roscoe owners. I could use your advice.

I've considered purchasing one. What I would like to know is this:

Have you ever regretted buying your Roscoe or wish you had bought something else?

Are there things about your Roscoe that you think are superior to other brands?

Are you happy with your tone?

Do you feel it is better suited for some styles more than others?

What do you like most about your Roscoe?

Thanks for the help.

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got my LG-3000 fretless dialed in. I don't think there is a better fretless out there than Keith's. Every note sings like a bird and/or growls like a buzzsaw. It is impeccably made, beautiful, and the neck has been crazy stable. I don't have much experience with the fretted ones, but the fretless are the shizzle. Maybe some more information about you and what you want would help.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Despite my "commercial disclamer", I am not a Roscoe owner, YET (it will be done by the end of the week! :hyper: ), but with my situation, I can be some assistance, if you have any specific questions. Feel free to ask away here, in a PM or e-mail anytime, I'll be more than happy to help.

4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I am very interested in hearing more replies to this thread. I am getting ready to pull the trigger and purchase a Roscoe SKB3006 so the more the opinions I can read, the better for me to make my decision. :)

5. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I am a very new Roscoe owner, having picked up my SKB3006 about a week ago, and I could not be happier with the quality of the construction, attention to detail, and overall feel of this bass. It is solid and considering it's a sixer very light at about 8.5lbs. :bassist:

The sound my bass is just incredible and EXACTLY what I was looking for. If you are seriously considering a Roscoe decide what type of sound you are after and give Gard a call. He and Keith are extremely knowledgable and will definitely steer you in the right direction to get what you are looking for and more.

As far as regrets with purchasing a Roscoe...well, I only bought one...now I need to get a fretless :ninja:

Seriously though, if you have any questions let me know, I would be glad to help.

I'm sure the Roscoe Heads will be chiming in soon.

Shawn

6. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I don't post much lately - something about writing paragraphs - but I'll jump in on this one - I purchased a Century VI last spring - March I believe - Since I am not a collector it was a once in a lifetime purchase for me - I am extremely happy with the Bass - Which has motivated me to work toward being a carftsman - not just a player - It is a particularly fine instrument and the only thing that I would want in a bass more than the Roscoe that I have now is a fretless Century VI as a companion bass.

Gard if your around drop me a line - I have some interesting news and a testimonial for the Good people at Roscoe.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I will be one soon :). Pulled the trigger last month, expected to be done by march.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Jason,
    I own an SKB3006, and I really like it's tone and feel. It's fit and finish are great, and they offer great customer service. I've played a lot of different styles of music with it and it's sound has worked well for every situation I've been in. Email Gard or give him a call, and let him know what kind of sounds you like. Roscoe offers many different woods and electronics options, I'm confident they can come up with a combo that will suit your needs.

Best regards,
    - Art

9. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I purchased a used LG-3000 (fretted) about six weeks ago from another TB'er (Tom Brien), just to see what all the fuss is about. Spanish cedar body with spalted maple top, pau ferro fretboard, Aguilar 3-band pickup. Yowser!!! This thing blows me away. Besides being gorgeous to look at, it's just so doggone responsive to every little nuance of my playing and so clear in the mix, my playing (not all that great to begin with, mind you) has taken a big leap forward. It's true what they say: when you can hear yourself better, you play better (or at least more consciously!).

But here's the clincher. My drummer, who's never really had much nice to say about my sound, through numerous basses and amp setups, told me the first night I played the Roscoe, "You're NEVER getting rid of that bass!" Now, every time we play he has a huge grin on his face, and so do I. :D

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    GAS pressure building to near explosive levels... :eek:

11. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have owned 2 Lg-3005s. The only reason I don't still have them is the 35" scale is killer on my left forearm. If I could afford to I would simply order a 34" scale and be done with it. The tone of both of my LGs was everything I've ever heard in my head and then some. The basses worked in any situation I found myself in and it had a downright nasty slap tone. I had Bartolini PUs and preamp and they both were beasts. I had my first one, traded it away, and three months later bought my 2nd one because I missed the tone. Service was second to none and now Gard works there and he's on his game. I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you go Roscoe.

12. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes. When I first got it I really liked it (skb 3006) but now I find myself playing my other basses alot more. I think if I had done more research I would have ended up with something different.

Definetly! The feel of the neck of the bass is by far my favorite I have ever played, aesthetically I think they are just about perfect, especially body shape/headstock, and the B string is very good sounding, it doesn't stand out like some other brand's do.

Overall I would say no. It is great for some things but it just doesn't have "the magic." However I will say that I have a bart pre in mine and everything I've heard makes me think I would be ALOT happier with a demeter.

without a doubt, it is a great bass in my island band but for my funk trio, not so much.

my favorite thing is the feel, and the looks, it is so sweet lookin!

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Other than the fact that you gotta deal with Gard ;) , Roscoes are some killer basses.

Seriously, Gard, Keith and the guys are great folks to work with. I took a visit to the factory and was seriously impressed. Keith and family were real hospitable to my wife and I.

Everything is made by hand, they have some killer woods, and the people who work on em like Keith, Sanders, etc.. are perfectionist to almost a fault.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jive, when I gotta deal with dealers that have your attitude, can you really blame me for mine?

:spit:

;)

...check's in the mail!

:bag:

...seriously, yeah, the guys here are geniuses, and are just great to work with. I consider myself to be exceptionally fortunate to be here.

Zen, I'd want to know what the woods on your bass were, as that can have a profound effect on the tone of it. A Demeter preamp MAY clear it up enough for you to like it, but if it's a dark or "phat" combination of woods, well....there's the issue!

I'd be willing to guess you've got either a Spanish Cedar or Mahogany body, a "softer" top wood (spalted maple, redwood), and a rosewood fingerboard??? If you'd gone with some harder woods and a Swamp Ash body, and maybe a maple fingerboard, you would probably be singin' it's praises for fingerfunk, in my experience.

15. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I have a Roscoe 3005 fretless. I think it is sounds as good as I have heard, Swamp Ash Body, maple neck with diamond wood fingerboard. I sent it back to Gard and he resculpted the neck to make the back a bit flatter. Other than that, this bass is fantanstic. I think there is a wide variety of tones between eq and pickups with the Bart Pre. As far as playable for all styles, I think that the fact that it's fretless influences this answer more that the sound of the bass. (I know a lot of guys say you can slap on fretless, I don't care for that sound personally.) I don't own a fretted Roscoe but I will say that this instrument fills the bottom end of the rhythm section as good or better than anything available out there.

It's a great choice. The rest depends on personal taste.

Good Luck

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Never! I played my first Roscoe a little over 10 years ago. I bought one and have owned 8 in the past 10 years. The current SKB 3005 is IMHO easily the highest quality bass I've ever played (bar none!)

The feel of the neck and the sound of the "B"

Oh yeah! Roscoe's are pure tone machines. IMO the Demeter is the best all around pre (if you play all styles of music) with the Aguilar OBP-3 a close second. I wouldn't even consider any other p/u's in the bass other than the stock Barts

Not to my hands. Roscoe's just simply fit my hands perfectly.

The sound, the playability, the workmanship and the support that Keith, Gard and the Roscoe team provide. Second to none!;)

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive owned 3. One was special ordered for me. It was very nice. One was fretless. Overall, very nice basses. I think they are very underrated and a great value for what they cost. If you get a 5 string, one of the best low B's. I no longer own any but I can see why they have a loyal following.

Things I didnt like-----

35" scale
    2 out of 3 were too heavy for my liking
    Bartolini pickups not my 1st choice

Things I liked--------

Sat great in a band mix
    look great
    play great
    great B string

Try to play a few before you decide
    I would contact Gard. He is a helpful guy and very good looking, also!!!!!! LOL

Rob

18. Jason,
    Very wise questions. I have owned 3 myself.

Things I like --

Their fretless basses are THE ONES for feel and tone
    Great B string
    Fast, comfortable neck
    I like 35" so I put that in the + column
    Gard
    Tone!!
    Weight depends on the body wood you choose. If you order a 7-string SKB with a mahogany body, YOU BETTER HAVE A STRONG BACK!
    Sits great in a band mix

Things I didn't like --

If you're not a Bart pickup fan, you're a bit limited
    If you're after a Jazz tone, again you're limited
    Gard

19. :eyebrow: :confused:

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Gard is just a magnet for our twisted humor.
    The negatives are just a joke, as he is really a stand up guy. Where some use their power and influence to for personal gain, Gard actually wields it with great mercy and justice.

So we all give crap to Gard. He dishes it out, so we know he can take it. He's not the kind of guy you have a neutral opinion of :)