1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roundwound Recommendation for Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by J-Mags, Jul 19, 2018.

1. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I just got a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass. It's string-through-body so it needs medium-gauge strings (or DR shorts). It came with a set of very narrow and zingy D'Addario round wounds. My other short-scale bass has GHS flats on it and I love them. The P-Bass I use has D'Addario halfwounds, and I don't hate them, but I wouldn't buy another set either. Playing the new bass, with the strings that are already on it, I could immediately see how the mids of a round wound could fit into a band mix, but I'm looking for something with a beefier sound (which would be anything, TBH).

I'm not a fan of too much high end, and I was originally going to get Chromes, but I'm looking for some strings that can get me a bit of midrange grind and sustain without being too jumpy, and that come in my size.

DR Sunbeams? GHS Boomers? Something else? If someone could tell me that they put GHS short scale, as opposed to medium scale on their Mustang that would open up some possibilities as well, because their wind length is 32.75.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Yes, the GHS Boomers!

Linnin and Joshua Feierman like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^And Yet Again = GHS Bass Boomers!^^^ :thumbsup:

Joshua Feierman likes this.
  4. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Boomers are a good choice, as are D'addario nickel rounds, if that's what you want. If you like stainless steel rounds, Rotosounds are a good choice, as are D'addario Pro Steels.

5. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Try Status roundwounds. I'm using their flats on my Mustangs. They do a medium scale set of rounds.

6. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Boomers incoming. They're cheap and plentiful, so I went for it. I've also liked Boomers guitar strings for some time.

Linnin and michael_t like this.